Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test for Sidewinders

Folks -

I recently had occasion to prescribe a test for possible mis-wiring of encased sidewinders, which produced an unexpected benefit.

As suspected, the yanking of a ferrous hunk of something away from the sides while measuring a series connection and watching for similar ohmmeter response from both is a good way to determine proper relative polarity. However, I also discovered that it's a good way to see how much subtractive effect between coils (as in stacked configurations) exists. If you just read one coil and yank away from each side you can see how much opposite polarity influence there is on the combined system. Each coil will produce a significant deflection of the ohmmeter needle (for the recommended analog meter) when the ferrous material is yanked away from that coil's side. However, it will also produce a lesser deflection of opposite disposition when yanking the metal away from the opposite side. It's instructive to remember (as is the case with simple stacked coil arrangements) that this "subtractive" influence exists in the combined output of both coils.

Bob Palmieri

Originally posted by fieldwrangler View Post
    It's instructive to remember (as is the case with simple stacked coil arrangements) that this "subtractive" influence exists in the combined output of both coils.
    The Seth Lover humbucker patent included a sidewinder configuration.
    It employed two short, offset coils- I believe, to minimize this subtractive coupling effect.

-rb
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
      The Seth Lover humbucker patent included a sidewinder configuration.
      It employed two short, offset coils- I believe, to minimize this subtractive coupling effect.

-rb
      Yeah... this common axis (and common core, commonly) is also likely responsible for the fact that the total inductance is less than the sum of its parts (those of the individual coils.)

Comment

So a sidewinder is essentially somewhat inefficient, not unlike a stacked coil configuration?

Comment

I say yes

Comment

Narrow aperture sidewinders with magnets in the coils work great.
            Shielding foil helps keep them quiet.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Agreed. Keeping permeable material out of the cores minimizes hum.

I'm a bit of a shielding but, and that definitely helps keep out buzz.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                So a sidewinder is essentially somewhat inefficient, not unlike a stacked coil configuration?
                Yes, but they are more efficient than stacked pickups. One of my first sidewinders started out as a stacked pickup. It was thin sounding with not much output as a stack, but sounded much better turned 90°.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Agreed. Keeping permeable material out of the cores minimizes hum.

I'm a bit of a shielding but, and that definitely helps keep out buzz.
                  Bill Lawrence made sidewinders with air coils for acoustic guitars.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    Yes, but they are more efficient than stacked pickups. One of my first sidewinders started out as a stacked pickup. It was thin sounding with not much output as a stack, but sounded much better turned 90°.
                    Yup. Come to think of it, that might be the way I first tried this, by turning a Duncan Strat Stack sideways....

Comment

Bill Lawrence made sidewinders with air coils for acoustic guitars.

Never tried (or saw) one of those.

Comment

Never tried (or saw) one of those.
                        I believe it was this pickup.

https://reverb.com/item/546950-vinta...p-the-silencer

Click image for larger version

Name:	gezlobx8b2hxpral3olp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	845257

Comment

Some more info here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=hf...0coils&f=false

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-04-10 19.40.22.png
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	845259Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-04-10 19.40.30.png
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	845258

Comment

I believe it was this pickup.

https://reverb.com/item/546950-vinta...p-the-silencer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43155[/ATTACH]
                            Oh yeah... THAT one! I have seen those, just bought one for the files!

Thanks, David!

Comment

Working...
                            X