Vintage Size No Hole J Bass Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Size No Hole J Bass Covers

Does anyone know of a source for no hole J bass covers that match vintage mounting specs? Mojo's bridge cover is good, but the neck cover's mounting screw holes are too wide. They're the same spacing as the bridge. To use it requires rerouting the body and replacing the pick guard, all doable, but more trouble than what I was expecting. That becomes problematic when someone doesn't want to modify the bass to fit the pickups.

Unfortunately so many people call so many Jstyle basses vintage these days, that I don't know exactly what you're looking for. Which Jbass + year, and what center-center dimension are you targeting?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of '60s J basses. I'm away from my shop presently, but the distance between the mounting screw holes are about 1.49" for the neck, 1.57" for the bridge. This is from memory, but is very close. A set of Bartolini 9J short (neck) and 9J long (bridge) fit the cavities.

Comment

bmcd,
        No two cover molds are the same from my experience and that means that there must be hundreds of old molds out there including all the ones that Fender used over the years. I've been getting my covers from Hosco in Japan but they are a little bit smaller than the Bartolini covers which are already smaller than most Fender covers. That said they'll fit in just about any rout you'll come across even if they don't fill it completely. Guitar Jones was sourcing some decent covers back in the day but I've got no clue where he was getting them other than Dae Il in Korea; Daeil Parts for Musical Instrument Anyway they were closer to the vintage Fender covers I've measured. Check these as they look like the Hosco ones I've been getting:
        http://www.toparts.kr/pc_14.html
        Last edited by David King; 04-17-2017, 09:12 PM.

Comment

David, thanks for the info. I was coming to the conclusion that domestic sources are limited to non existent. There may be some on ebay that may work. I've placed an order and will see. Since I'm experimenting with pickup ideas at this stage I'm not prepared to order in quantity, so Hosco and Dae-il (toparts.kr) probably have a minimum. I'll have to make contact and inquire if it's within my range. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Comment

Minimums they do have. probably both in the $2k range. But I was paying $.66 ea from Hosco so I bet Deail is $.25 ea and that's a lot of f*cking covers. I can send you a pair of samples.

Comment

PM Sent.

Comment

Working...
              X