Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for making custom pickup covers

Hey all,

Does anyone here make custom pickup covers?

Probably a silly question, but what are the best options for making your own covers?

I'm guessing vacuum molding, silicone molds,... 3D printing maybe?

Disclosure: I'm ultimately looking for the least labor-intensive method. ;-)
    Last edited by Chris Turner; 04-18-2017, 02:12 AM.

We talked about vacuum forming over here. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t36715/

Comment

I think Jason Lollar's method of softening, wrapping and glueing up celluloid is probably the quickest.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4240227.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	845375
        its a top plate wrapped with thinner plastic on the sides. You can also cut out sheet brass or nickle silver and then solder it together, level out, buff and plate with electroless nickle but it takes alot of skill and time!

Comment

Thanks Jason,
          You'd posted a little series last time I think which I looked for but couldn't find in a casual search. I love that photo of your bench and all the secrets you might be revealing. Just what did you have stored on that thumbdrive? One can only imagine!

Back to the OP, I have a Bridgeport so every problem looks like something a milling machine can solve. If I had CAD software and a cnc router then that would be the obvious answer, ditto a laser cutter, EDM machine etc.

Comment

Working...
          X