Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender scn neck pickup question re dc resistance

Hello Chaps
    I had a customer in today with a fender SCN neck pickup reading about 12 k ohms, googling the specs said it should be about half of that. Question Are they wired in parallel? one coil looks like its damaged so it could be that only one coil is working. Any info appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
    Hello Chaps
    I had a customer in today with a fender SCN neck pickup reading about 12 k ohms, googling the specs said it should be about half of that. Question Are they wired in parallel? one coil looks like its damaged so it could be that only one coil is working. Any info appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew
    it would seem to be so. they are a stacked hum-canceling design, so one coil is probably shorted or dead.
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

The vintage noiseless are wired in series and the scn appear identical externally so I'm pretty sure the scn are wired in series as well. This leaves us no explanation for your odd reading. Did the customer only bring in the one pickup?

Comment

Hi Richard
        The customer only bought in one pickup. He had been poking around in the electronics and said that afterwards the pickup was louder when he put the pickguard back on.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

I know zilch about SCN pickups.
          But you say the pickup's DCR reads about twice normal, and the customer says it has gotten louder.
          That sure sounds like the coils are wired in parallel, and one is open.

-rb
          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Have you checked the resitance of the individual coils?

Comment

Did just get noisy suddenly too?

Comment

Hi All

I ended up putting a Jeff Beck noisless in which the customer supplied. Measuring with a meter one of the coils was definitely dead. I just wanted to know for reference what the coil configuration is on the scn pickups, it seems to be different for neck and middle to bridge.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                X