JBL EON 515 XT - No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL EON 515 XT - No Power

Trying to fix my band mate's EON. Fuse is good.

I opened the case to inspect the power switch area. I cannot get to the PS board that houses the switch. It seems to be completely enclosed in plastic. It appears that this board cannot be accessed from inside the unit (completely encased in plastic) and that it cannot slip out the back exterior of the unit. There are 4 screws that I guess hold the board in place, I removed those, that did not help. Any suggestions on how to get to the PS board?

Thank you! Mark

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	871583 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	871584

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
    Any suggestions on how to get to the PS board?
    It's been a while since I had one open, but the power supply board is all contained on the main pc board with the power amp, etc. The outer board has only the fuse and power switch.

If you are thinking a bad switch, test it by reading the on/off resistance across the hot and neutral ac input points.

I think that the service manual has assembly drawings, I will see if I have that file here.

Comment

Reading a cycling 13M to .354K readings across ac input points with switch set to ON. Open with switch set to OFF.

Comment

Diagnostic help?

Got the schematic extracted.

At this time, I am pretty lost on this unit. Flip the power switch on, nothing happens.

Any advice on where to check on the main board for basic power diagnostics?

Attached schematics and troubleshoot guide.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by misterc57; 05-22-2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

The power supply is of the Switch Mode type.

Are you familiar with the rules of how to test one of these devices?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            The power supply is of the Switch Mode type.

Are you familiar with the rules of how to test one of these devices?
            I am not. Looks I need to do some learning.

Comment

A couple links that may be helpful:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t23974/

Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Small Switchmode Power Supplies
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

If you search this forum for a post by 'angelothewolf' titled "JBL EON510 help!!" (from 2013), the last reply was from me(1/16/17) describing how I found and repaired my 510. [sorry if there is a more elegant or easier way to navigate to it, I don't do it enough to know!] It sounds like your 515 is exhibiting the same problem. I looked at the 515 schematic and the SMPS looks the same. In my case it was two components (ICs) that were bad. In the post, I describe what I did to troubleshoot and verify. Parts were readily available and cheap from Mouser. I also highly recommend the Chip Quik desoldering stuff for these parts, as opposed to a hot air rework station. Kinda tight on the PCB! My method wasn't nearly as detailed as the guide you have. Whatever gets it fixed!

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Telesis View Post
                  If you search this forum for a post by 'angelothewolf' titled "JBL EON510 help!!" (from 2013), the last reply was from me(1/16/17) describing how I found and repaired my 510. [sorry if there is a more elegant or easier way to navigate to it, I don't do it enough to know!] It sounds like your 515 is exhibiting the same problem. I looked at the 515 schematic and the SMPS looks the same. In my case it was two components (ICs) that were bad. In the post, I describe what I did to troubleshoot and verify. Parts were readily available and cheap from Mouser. I also highly recommend the Chip Quik desoldering stuff for these parts, as opposed to a hot air rework station. Kinda tight on the PCB! My method wasn't nearly as detailed as the guide you have. Whatever gets it fixed!

Good Luck!
                  Just read that thread, good info to have when I revisit that unit! Our EON 515 XT has been put on the back burner for now. Thank you!

Comment

Here is a link to that thread:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t34038/
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                    X