Transistor substitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transistor substitution

I'm building a HoneyBee Overdrive and do not have a 2N5952 (2N5457). I do have many 2n7000 (SHO) and 2N3904 (wah upgrade). I enjoy the sound of 2n7000 mosfets and would actually love to plug these in where I can.
    I suppose we deal with these sub types often. Is there an app that helps with this inc. pinouts?!

Here's a list from Guitarnuts:

NPN bipolar transistors
    2N5088
    2N5089
    2N3904
    2N2222
    2N5013
    BC108/109
    PN2369A
    MPSA18
    MPSA13 (this is a darlington - 2 transistors strapped together - but it is interchangeable with the other transistors if you want much higher gain)

PNP bipolar tranistors
    2N3906
    2N5087

N-Channel Jfets
    J201
    2N5457
    2N5458
    MPF102

N-Channel Mosfets
    2N7000
    BS170
    Attached Files

Just Google for the datasheets and compare.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Please post the schematic of the pedal you are actually building.

The HoneyBee I found uses 2 x BF244 Fets; can be roughly substituted by other plain Fets, such as those you mention about, but NOT 2N7000/BS170 which are enhancement Mosfets.

Opposite biasing needs so you can not plug one instead of the other.
      Neither can you use bipolars there, try to get proper, junction type NCH FETs.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Ok that helps clarify. Thanks so much, I REALLY like this circuit's tone!
        Attached Files

Comment

For transistor substitution I use alltransistors.com.

For small-signal use almost any transistor will work so long as the gain is roughly similar. Many years ago Elector magazine abandoned specifying bipolar transistors other than for highly selective applications. The simply labelled them on the schematics as TUP (Transistor Universal PNP) and TUN (Transistor Universal NPN). I also take the same approach with FETs and don't chase down specific parts unless there's a really good reason to.

Comment

Working...
          X