Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Roadmaster Filament Problem

Hay doods, here's a riddle for you.

Got a Peavey Roadmaster on the bench giving me some symptoms I've never seen before. None of the tubes glow- Checked 15a fuse, Removed all output tubes and switched pre-amps one at a time, no change. Voltage off the transformer (Yellow wires, ran with limiter bulb) 6.3VAC. 23vDC present on heaters, matches well with per 25vdc on schematic.

I resoldered the fuse clip to the board and also the few components in the filament line, the tubes lit up! 6.3VAC across the board. Now though, the fuse itself is getting so hot that it's causing smoke from the board, WITHOUT blowing the fuse.

So my question is, what the hell could cause this? Mechanical components around the fuse? Bad... fuse clip? Molex? Shorted 6L6 pulling the 6.3?

A schematic would help.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

First replace the fuse clips themselves, once they get hot like that, they have an oxidized surface and they lose their tension, their springiness. When they become resistive, they generate heat.

The heavy yellow wires carry the 6v from the transformer to the power board, then another connector connects the power board to the 6L6 board. Then another cable carries the 6v from the 6L6 board to the preamp board. All of these molex connectors can get loose and resistive. Tighten their pins, and in sopme cases it might be better to hard wire them.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

peavey_roadmaster.pdf

Comment

Agree with Enzo. Something has likely become resistive. I'll add. It could also be the fuse itself. The ends could be corroded or it could be internal. It's rare, but I have had fuses themselves develop resistance.

Comment

Woops! sorry here: http://juggernauthxc.free.fr/roadmas...ter-schema.jpg.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure this wasn't some rare electronic issue before I rewire the board. I'll let you know if I run into any trouble!

Enjoy your weekend boys and girls

Comment

Well, as it turns out, there's nothing extra fancy about the filament supply, so a schematic probably wasn't necessary. That said, it's still a good idea to post one, if available, when you start a new thread. Good luck!

Comment

Hold on. A 15A fuse? In a tube combo amp?
                It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                  Yessir, except it is a head and not a cab. This thing is a beast.

Comment

I would expect at least a 10-12A in there, given the inrush current for all those preamp & power tubes - 7.2A at full operating temp. 15A May have been the smallest value that would consistently evade "nuisance blows," especially given that modern tubes have been shown to have all-over-the-map specs on just about everything, including heater current...

Justin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post

And remember that we are talking about the 15 A fuse in the heater circuit. See the schematic of the beast linked in post #6.

Comment

Working...
                      X