X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok,

Same technic but with a differents tools

Comment

I have done some on the bench top grinder holding the magnets in my fingers. Would a file work with the magnets in a drill chuck? What about one of these deburring reloading tools? I have one will have to try it out. Anyone measured guass before and after doing this?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	465641.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	845830

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
        Anyone measured guass before and after doing this?
        I thought about that too. I make knives sometimes and some austenitic steels will spot harden due to grinding heat even if you're carful and water dipping. So the contact patch when grinding clearly gets very hot. And alnico is surely harder than any of the annealed steels I've used. Since the grinding wheel position is stationary it might be worth setting up so the lower third of the wheel is in a water bath.?.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I was thinking the opposite. If the alnico gets damaged or weak, wouldn't that kind of lower the guass and "age" the magnets? Maybe it would even concentrate the unbeveled part? I think some winders intentionally weaken the magnets, or so they say. One set of single coils i made for a customer, i beveled for the first time, the guy loved them.

Comment

You might be on to something. But I think the lack of control over the "aging" when hot spots are random with hand work might be harder to replicate.?. I (if I were a pickup maker) would want to eliminate variables to create a consistent and controlled result. YMMV
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
            X