Power Transformer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Transformer Question

I am trying to replace a power transformer in a Fender Supersonic 60. I have looked at three different transformers and they all have different secondary specs. Classic Tone tranny is 484VDC which I believe is the same as stock. Mercury has 364V/514VDC. Hammond has 342V/482VDC. How much can they vary and still be ok? The Mercury seems very high compared to the other two. My transformer knowledge leaves much to be desired so maybe I am missing something here. Thanks

Is the Fender replacement part not available?
    The aftermarket types are not likely to have the extra low voltage winding, unless they are specifically designed for this model amp?

edit: I see that the classic tone is indeed a direct replacement for Fender part # 041752
    Last edited by g1; 07-19-2017, 02:52 AM.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I'd be concerned about the screen grid voltages getting too high. I'd probably go with the ClassicTone one. It's really close to spec and CT are a good value, quality transformer.

Also, that 484VDC rating is based on a 93mA current draw. I suspect you'll be drawing at least 50% more than that.

Comment

Agree with above that ClassicTone looks like a good replacement. It does have all the same windings as the stock unit.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Didn't mention

I didn't mention that I need a 220v transformer which Classic Tone does not have. Edcor will possibly make one for me. Mercury has one at a crazy price. I currently am using the Hammond 290VEX with a Variac @ 240V but I am not getting enough heater voltage. The Classic specs show 3.75A as do the Hammond. The tubes are 2x6L6=1.8A, 8x12ax/at7=2.4A which is 4.2A total. I haven't measured the actual heater amp draw. When I measure heater voltage across pins 2 and 7 I get 5.3 volts. I think Fender cheaped out on the transformer so they could use it in the Hot Rod Deluxe which needs less heater current. As previously stated I am for far from an expert on this subject. Let me know if I am on the wrong track.

Comment

I'd probably go with the Edcor, then. They make quality transformers at a reasonable price. MM makes quality transformers, just not at a reasonable price...

Comment

I am thinking about using the existing Hammond 240v transformer and adding a separate filament transformer. This would give the heaters the correct voltage but the plate voltage would be a little on the low side like around 450VDC. Do you think this would be ok?

Comment

Working...
              X