Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele Neck on a Strat Body?

Hi All:
    I've had a request, to assemble a parts caster, and I do all the electronics.
    A strat neck has a round heel, and a tele has a square heel.
    Would there be a way to put a tele neck on a strat body.
    Could the round strat body neck pocket be squared off with a router?
    My customer and I want to use ready made strat and tele parts.
    I'm trying to determine ahead of time, if it could be done, in a quality way?
    Thanks for your input?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

I've seen such frankensteins but never paid attention to the neck/body fit. If you order neck & body from the same outfit, say Warmoth for instance, you could ask them to alter the parts so you can fit 'em together correctly.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Just checked Warmoth, and they say that their Strat necks will fit a Tele body, but a Tele neck won't fit a Strat body. But aside from the corners of the neck pocket, the depth, length of neck pocket and neck heel worth a are the same. But the amount of pocket nodding looks to be minimal, and could be covered with a custom pickguard. I have no doubts about your ability to do quality work.

USA Custom Guitars may have something premade...

Justin
      Last edited by Justin Thomas; 07-25-2017, 10:12 PM.
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

You guys are high rollers.
        I'm going to use cheaper ready made parts.
        I was just wondering what the alteration procedure would be if you had the body and neck in hand?
        What it would entail to make them fit right, and to get the guitar to intonate?
        Thanks,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          A strat neck has a round heel, and a tele has a square heel.
          Would there be a way to put a tele neck on a strat body.
          Could the round strat body neck pocket be squared off with a router?
          I think you can put a Tele Neck on a Strat body and the scale length will be correct and it will intonate OK. There will just be a little crescent gap. If you route out the body to fit the neck snugly with no gap the scale length will be reduced and the intonation could be off. I've done it a couple of times without routing using Squier necks and Strat copy bodies. I put black tape over the gap under the scratchplate and you can hardly see it. I'll post a couple off pics tomorrow. (It's dark now and the flash on my camera doesn't work) To do a more professional job of it you could get a custom scratchplate made to cover the gap.

Comment

I'm just curious why he wants to do this? Because he has the parts laying around? What's the advantage? I've seen lots of Teles routed for Strat hardware and electronics of the shelf. If you are using cheap kit parts you can always move the bridge back a bit if the intonation is short after you snug the pocket. But again. Why reinvent the wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
              I'll post a couple off pics tomorrow.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170726_150446.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	964.1 KB
ID:	845987

Name:	IMG_20170726_150538.jpg
Size:	808.9 KB
ID:	845988

Name:	IMG_20170726_150611.jpg
Size:	808.1 KB
ID:	845989

Comment

That looks cool.
                So all you did was stick the neck in the pocket, and fill in the half moon with black tape?
                I think I could do that?
                My blues playing 17yo GS, likes the look, and I was thinking of helping him build one.
                I have several strat loaded pickguards I need to use up.
                He currently plays a fender strat 65RI, and a gibson Blueshawk, and was wanting to add something different to his lineup!
                His amps are BFDR 65 RI, and a Snakeskin Hotrod deluxe.
                He's not a tele player, but likes the headstock.
                Thanks,
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 07-27-2017, 02:08 AM.
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  So all you did was stick the neck in the pocket, and fill in the half moon with black tape?
                  My blues playing 17yo GS, likes the look
                  Yes, that's right but I just taped over it. I didn't fill it.
                  I agree with your GS. I like the look too.

Comment

I've been trying to round up parts.
                    I think the best solution for me is to buy a blank paddle head guitar neck.
                    wdbiz has some nice ones.
                    The heel will fit a strat, and If I can come up with, or make a tele template?
                    I can cut the tele head with my router.
                    Anyone know how to get or print, a to scale tele headstock picture for a template?
                    Anyway that is the way I'm headed for the moment!
                    Thanks for the help everyone.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Hey guys, maybe you can help me here? Help!
                      http://mycoolguitars.com/wp-content/...headstocks.pdf
                      I'm wanting to use page 5, the 50s tele headstock, but can't ever print it to the dimensions given on page 5.
                      I'm using a linux atril pdf viewer.
                      Anyone know how to get it to the right size?
                      T
                      **Never mind, I think I finally figured it out, it was printing setup malfunction!
                      Last edited by big_teee; 07-27-2017, 07:44 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

Terry, Why don't you cut the strat headstock to look like a tele?
                        A
                        Any strat neck.

Comment

Working...
                        X