Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost Of Stupidity

I have in front of me a 135W Bassman Head

Someone has at some point wired around the back panel fuse. (Because obviously thats what you do to prevent regular fuse blowing)

Both of the main 220uF smoothing caps are shorted
    Two of the four rectifier diodes are shorted
    The output transformer has a shorted primary winding.
    The power transformer has an open circuit primary

It didn't have any 6L6s in it when it arrived, so I can only imagine what happened to them.

Fuses blow for a reason.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Yep, fuses are not the disease, they are the symptom.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yikes!

I had this on the bench yesteday, mercifully nothing as bad as your horror. One cap was just hanging loose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yikes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	846077
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

It's actually really unusual for the cost of repair of classic guitar amp to approach it's market value.
          Even if the 135 Bassman is not a terribly highly though of (or priced) amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
            I have in front of me a 135W Bassman Head

Someone has at some point wired around the back panel fuse. (Because obviously thats what you do to prevent regular fuse blowing)

Both of the main 220uF smoothing caps are shorted
            Two of the four rectifier diodes are shorted
            The output transformer has a shorted primary winding.
            The power transformer has an open circuit primary

It didn't have any 6L6s in it when it arrived, so I can only imagine what happened to them.
            Niiiiice. Maybe they were interested in home made pyrotechnics.
            The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

thats what I call letting the smoke out.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                Yikes!
                I had this on the bench yesteday, mercifully nothing as bad as your horror. One cap was just hanging loose.
                There's a line from the old cult flick Fast Times at Ridgemont High "I can fix it, man, my father's got the ultimate tool set", Mr Spicoli.
                I can't imagine that the person with the skill set to do this kind of repair had their *fingers* inside this amp, discharged the caps before the repair, and used sensible safety procedures.
                The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                  Yikes!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44354[/ATTACH]
                  bet the caps were not the original problem either.

Comment

It's actually really unusual for the cost of repair of classic guitar amp to approach it's market value.
                    IME it's more common than you think. It's exactly how classic amps make their way to the junkpile.

Where do you think all of the ebay chassis projects come from? Stupid fixes, I'd bet.

Tubes, iron and caps have always been the main cost centers in an amp. Blow them all and there's not much value left in resistors and wire on a chassis. In general I think it's the rule, rather than the exception, that a catastrophic event will result in a constructive total -- especially with the high powered amps. Add in a reasonable labor cost and you're better off shopping for a replacement.
                    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

So this is a repair request for a customer? I figured it was, but thought I'd ask to for clarity in the thread. If so, bummer. Can't rescue them all though.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I find myself personally in this dilemma a lot. I came across a Bassman 50 a few years back that someone had "Marshallized" (more accurately "mosquito-ized) for a kinda crazy price. Admittedly, it was about $50 more than a fair market book value, IF it had been in good working order (meaning, sounding like an actual FENDER). I paid for it, knowing I could set it arights, and even if I couldn't, I'd have well under what it would have cost me to source parts to build a similar amp. So I take the "parts value" into consideration.

I got it fixed, learned a valuable lesson about grounding, and got my money back (minus my time, but education costs, too). But if a FRIEND or customer had asked me if they should buy it, I would have said "no more than $100," because I knew they'd be paying ME a wad to fix it.

Which brings us to another point: a vintage Fender with a Marshall channel does <NOT> increase in value, just because YOU put in the time and money to "improve" it. As far as THIS one was concerned, it was $&#@ed up & BROKEN. A Bias Mod is one thing; a Hack Mod is another.

Justin
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I don't think most guys that mod their amps believe it adds any value. I was hacking my amps twenty five years ago and I certainly didn't. I've also never seen anyone try to sell a modified amp for more because of the mod unless they were claiming some famous guru did the work or some similar nonsense. I remember when modified Marshalls were sort of the rage but I don't remember anyone getting better than market value for them and still a little less if any holes were cut. I can't imagine today that anyone would think modding a classic is even a good idea. But then, what's a classic and what might be the next classic? I remember when you couldn't give a silver face Fender away. Now fender has reissued the sf Deluxe Reverb. I'd never hack into a plexi but I've modded a couple of JMP mater vol models. I'd never hack even an early sf Super Reverb but a sf Vibro Champ is fair game. Those JMP's and Vibro Champs should probably be classics now?

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Hey Chuck,

It was a consignment shop for music gear, so, I know everything is going to be "more than it should," but some of it was ridiculous. It's not that the mod added value, but that the "mod" was so badly done as to render any intrinsic value the amp had to be worthless. I paid a "higher end of Fair" price for it, but only because of the potential - I paid for the POTENTIAL amp - a bulletproof rock & blues machine that IS the Fender Bassman head. But to the average person, it was "broken."

The same shop had an unmolested Bassman 10 for $900. Just the head. The cab was $400 extra. Funk Dat.
                            And down the road, another shop had a SF Bandmaster Reverb, late 70s, nodded with a Marshall channel, a few holes drilled, etc... $1,200? Aw, hell no...
                            So, yeah - SOME guys think mods add value to their amps, a wee (or huge) bit too much! And, enough to dupe the unsuspecting musician who doesn't know better...

Justin

PS: I'm not sorry (yet) that I hacked my 79 Champ into a Vibro-Blaster... Or my Bassman 100 into a 100W version of my AB165 (yeah, I drilled a hole. But that one was already trashed, cosmetically, and is now an ongoing art piece)
                            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Yeah, I'm not too sorry about the master volume JMP's either. They still sell for about a grand. Roughly $200 more than when I bought mine two and a half decades ago. I never even think about the Champs. They were all from the 70's and 80's and as of this writing no one cares too much about them. Some old Traynor amps have also been victims of my bench. The only mods I've done to any bf Fender were things like grounded AC cords and minor mods that don't change the cosmetics or basic topology and are all easily reversible. I've never modded a truly classic Marshall. Though I do have a first year plexi reissue (91 I think) that's been horsed around with quite a bit. If I ever get around to it I plan to rebuild it stock on a piece of brown perf board using Sozo caps and such, take lots of pretty pictures and unload it on *bay for a s-ton of some suckers money. I even have a trio of Mullard 12ax7's to stick in there to drive home the faux authenticity I don't think this is dishonorable. With new filters, power tubes, my Mullard 12ax7's, maybe some other clique/mojo priced components and the work it'll be hard to charge less than a s-ton just to break even. And whoever gets it will surely enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X