Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a test to know if I have a el84/6bq5,or6aq5 tubes ?can I interchange them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a test to know if I have a el84/6bq5,or6aq5 tubes ?can I interchange them?

If I put the new el84 tubes in and it turns out it takes the 6aq5 tube,or the ,6bq5, would that harm anything ?The amp has no name,it is stamped 1964 in red on back panel.It has 2 12ax7 preamp tubes ,and it has a ez81 rectifier tube.it takes 2 power tubes of which I only have 1 of.the amp does have both transformers.Is there a place I can send the tube and get them to check it out ,& identify it ,and give me 2 replacements.Thanks for any and all help .peace & Love
    Attached Files

Looks like a 6bq5 to me. The 6aq5 is a little shorter. But with one tube in there and no markings I would say there's no way to know it's the correct tube for the amp or even that either tube type is correct. I'll guess it's a 6bq5 though because that's a pretty typical tube compliment. Check the socket wiring to be sure. For 6bq5's the OT primary leads will be on pin 7 and for 6aq5's they will be on pin 5.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

You don't have to worry about interchanging those two tube types- 6aq5 is a 7 pin tube and the 6bq5 is a 9 pin tube. So, it's not physically possible to plug a 6aq5 into a 6Bq5 socket or vice versa. Of course, there are many other kinds of 7 and 9 pin power tubes, so it's possible that your amp calls for something totally different. Tracing the wires, measuring the B+ voltage, etc. could give clues.

Comment

+1 to all above ^^^

You can do some testing with the power tube sockets empty, a good idea if you're powering up a relic for the first time anyway. IIRC the 6bq5 and the EL84 are indeed interchangeable.
        Sometimes it goes without saying, but just to "say it": dangerous voltages are present. Use proper gear and observe safe practices. Have fun!
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Thanks Chuck I appreciate it.

Comment

Thanks for the information .I will check the b+.Down the rabbit hole .

Comment

Thanks .I will test the pins and see what I get and see if the el84 tubes will work.I Definately bleed out filter caps and work safe with a volt meter on it.This is Definately a lot of fun learning about amps and all the components and what they do and how to to trouble shoot .Peace and love

Comment

Working...
              X