No announcement yet.

Running out of wire when winding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bottle necked the electrons buy sub dating the electrons between 2 pieces of a special tape . after 6 years it's still holding . with zero Radiation or any increase molecular activity .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      I bottle necked the electrons buy sub dating the electrons between 2 pieces of a special tape . after 6 years it's still holding . with zero Radiation or any increase molecular activity .
      I have no idea what that means, but I like it.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I make a pickup that I start out winding with 42 gauge & splice a smaller gauge on & keep winding .
        I do this on a couple of designs.

There's nothing wrong with a proper splice. If I have a spool of wire that's almost empty, I'll set it aside, and use it for my own stuff, or a tapped coil.

Comment

Ah...the "special tape" and using "2 pieces"...I never thought of that!!! It must be NOS tape from the mid-fifties, right?
          =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
            Ah...the "special tape"!!! It must be NOS tape from the mid-fifties, right?
            It's a rare blend of Scotch .
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Rare aged Scotch tape, has that nice amber patina look!

T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

I like to use two thicknesses of scotch tape for each splice.

Comment

I splice. I use a small length (.25") of tined hookup wire... same wire I use to connect the start and finish of the coils. I wrap about 10 turns of each end of the wire, and then solder it. I then use my meter to check from that splice to the start wire. If it reads good, I cut off the excess tinned wire, then tape up the splice with thin masking tape, lay it on the coil, and continue winding.

I've done this a number of times with no ill effects.

But... I only spice if I wasn't expecting a break or end of roll. If I see the roll is near the end, I use a new roll.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

...and keep the old one for the next Filtertron!

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      I splice. I use a small length (.25") of tined hookup wire... same wire I use to connect the start and finish of the coils. I wrap about 10 turns of each end of the wire, and then solder it. I then use my meter to check from that splice to the start wire. If it reads good, I cut off the excess tinned wire, then tape up the splice with thin masking tape, lay it on the coil, and continue winding.

I've done this a number of times with no ill effects.

But... I only spice if I wasn't expecting a break or end of roll. If I see the roll is near the end, I use a new roll.
                      Same here

Comment

Working...
                      X