No announcement yet.

Best glue for capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contact/Rubber cement works too. It can get brittle when decades old.

Comment

Oh, my. By "safe for electronics", I was referring to non-corrosive cure. I never considered that silicone could become conductive. Are you referring to black silicone sealant that might contain carbon black?
      Unfortunately I don't remember the details.

Comment

I have some high-temperature silicone that contains carbon and even that doesn't become conductive under prolonged heat. The microscopic carbon particles are each effectively insulated by the silicone. Electrical conductivity could be an asset (just like conductive polymers) especially if it changed under pressure.

Hot melt comes in numerous grades and some is appalling quality, so you can't generalize. I had some electronic disability aids to repair and the hot-melt used by the manufacturer was incredible - at the time I thought it may have been some military-grade product. And the worst I've seen in commercial amps is the pure white stuff used by Trace Elliot; comes off like candle wax and has no ability to stick to anything.

Comment

Regarding conductivity in silicone adhesive/sealer: I can say from personal experience it can happen if the stuff isn't fully cured before exposing it to voltage. Another tech backed this up with his own personal experience while we were sharing 'war stories' one day.

Though I haven't tried it the yellow stuff used by some manufacturers reminds me a lot of 3M automotive weatherstrip adhesive, and/or possibly 'Shoe Goo'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
            Electrical conductivity could be an asset (just like conductive polymers) especially if it changed under pressure.
            Like use it to upgrade the carbon pile footswitch for a vintage sewing machine pickup winder?

-rb
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              No science papers here, but I've been using GE "RTV" Silicones over 40 years with electronics of all sorts... I always keep some on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                I've been using "5 Second Fix" for all sorts of things, like to secure speaker mounting screws in a cab to ensure that they don't vibrate lose. (Hey, Egnator used a dab of some sort of glue on these screws and I figured what the heck...) The stuff is great but I wait for it to go on sale for $5.99 or less.

5 Second Fix (5SF) is a liquid bonding agent, a thick liquid which is cured in a few seconds using the UV light on the other end of the dispenser pen.

5 Second Fix - Fix, fill, seal, and repair virtually anything in 5 seconds or less! - As Seen On TV

Cons: Since the UV light must reach the stuff for opaque objects you need to use many thin layers.
                • My first project was to repair cracks in the lip of a rubbery plastic trash can. Nope- it did not stick well to that kind of plastic so I went back to using Gorilla brand Clear Repair Tape (highly recommended for assorted repairs!)

Pros: I just used 5SF on a small chip on a guitar as a temporary measure to keep it from getting worse before I can get around to fixing it right.
                • I need to do the same on a small ding on my car next to the rear license plate... I will remove the rust that is developing. What is great is that when the time comes to remove the 5 Second Fix it can be easily removed with an Xacto or utility knife.

For many items I would suggest using mainly silicone, but with a few dabs of 5SF to hold it in place until the silicone cures. Of course that would not be necessary with caps that are soldered in place.

I've been using that technique with hot melt glue and silicone with great results: about 2 years ago I added a hardwood threshold to the side door in my garage as there was a 3/4" gap that rats were crawling through. The floor was a smooth finished concrete and I didn't have the equipment to do it the right way but it hasn't budged. What the heck if it comes loose in a few years I'll just glue it down again...

Right now I'm using the same trick to resecure some loose tiles in my shower stall.

Steve Ahola
                Some people do like this UV cure CA, but many online comments are that the dinky UV light fails to work/or work well. Luckily there are some good strong UV LEDs in online surplus like this
                HI-INTENSITY UV LAMP ASSEMBLY | All Electronics Corp.

almost 20W for $6!

Comment

E6000 might be good for caps (it's the stuff that folks use to glue the hammer tips onto Rhodes hammers).

Comment

Well I borrowed a glue gun from the 13 year old neighbor girl. She uses it for crafty girly type stuff (putting plastic flowers on lampshades and what not). The glue gun was even pink! I just needed a little dab to mount the large caps to the solid state bass amp. Tomorrow I am off to the craft store to buy my own glue gun. Gosh I hope they have more colors than pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
                      Tomorrow I am off to the craft store to buy my own glue gun. Gosh I hope they have more colors than pink!
                      Don't worry, they also have blue.

-rb
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Me, I'd like one in the Hello Kitty motif.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Collect all four!

Click image for larger version

Name:	flower glue gun.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	846211Click image for larger version

Name:	zebra glue gun.PNG
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	846212Click image for larger version

Name:	pink do glu gun.PNG
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	846213Click image for larger version

Name:	black flower glue gun.PNG
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	846214

Comment

Download and install Jio TV for PC/Laptop/Computer: Hi folks welcome to Jio world,
                            I believe you know more things about jio tv app and its features. if you don’t know no worries here
                            I will let you know about jio tv app and how to install jio TV on pc windows?.

Comment

I use hot melt all the time and never had a problem so far.

Comment

Silicone bath tub calk....

Comment

Working...
                                X