Best eyelet board material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best eyelet board material

Hi all what's the best material for making your own eyelet boards I was looking at at 2mm phenolic sheet (labelled tufnol substitute) is this any good it seems to have all the right properties or am I way off ?

The is commonly called SRPB or FR2. That material is fine but you will find it in lower cost electronics.

Your question was for the best in which case go for plain fibre glass sheet FR4. 1.6mm is probably easier to find and is plenty strong enough.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Phenolic board can absorb moisture. There are so many grades/brands of varying quality that I don't use it any more. Unless you wanted to replicate a leaky 5E3 with a nice scratchy DC on the input sockets I would certainly look elsewhere. The last amp I built on genuine 'Tufnol' didn't even make it through the door and I ended up rebuilding it. I have sheets of this stuff, all useless for tube amps. FR4 all day long. Use a mask when drilling - the fibres can be pretty irritating.

There are some really hard phenolics that are good, but you need to be sure that the grade, electrical properties and moisture absorption are specified. Tufnol is usually resin impregnated fabric, Paxolin/SRBP is paper.

Comment

Thanks Nick I did wonder about that material, I found some called fr4 g10 in 1.5mm thickness it was a nice semi opaque green colour too wasn't that expensive either I'll go for that then thanks again

Comment

Sorry Mick your reply came up just as I sent a reply to Nick thanks for the info saved me a nightmare build, a leaky 5e3 wasn't really what I wanted just for the info I'm building the two stroke from the dave hunter book but I'm doing it all from scratch (not a kit) that way I can gradually aquire all the parts after some research more expensive that way I know but I'm sure I'll end up with a better amp and a better insight into what I'm building even though everything I end up deciding on I have to get from the states

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvini View Post
            Thanks Nick I did wonder about that material, I found some called fr4 g10 in 1.5mm thickness it was a nice semi opaque green colour too wasn't that expensive either I'll go for that then thanks again
            The last time I got some I got black. It was to replace the fibreboard on a old Fender that had gone leaky. The black looked more like the original.

http://www.eplastics.com/G9-G10-FR4-glass-epoxy-sheet
            Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Be carefull at turrets. I found some sellers,in Europe at least, sells some turrets sort of nickel plated which peeling very easy. Looks more like decorative coating. I bought few hundreds unusable pieces from Germany, For tags FR4 all the way
              Last edited by catalin gramada; 09-04-2017, 10:25 PM.
              "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

https://www.mcmaster.com/#grade-g-10...nolic/=198r0pb
                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                  The last amp I built on genuine 'Tufnol' didn't even make it through the door and I ended up rebuilding it.
                  Gee, you learn something every day. I thought this was Tufnol:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mv5bmtq4mdezmdy1ov5bml5banbnxkftztywodi0mtm3-_v1_sx640_sy720_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	846347
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                    I thought this was Tufnol
                    Ya beat me to it
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                      The last time I got some I got black. It was to replace the fibreboard on a old Fender that had gone leaky. The black looked more like the original.
                      The reissue eyelet board Fenders are black FR4 and they look pretty neat.

Comment

Working...
                      X