Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA kills youtube-mp3.org

https://consumerist.com/2017/09/05/p...ustry-lawsuit/

My favorite non-profit site is finally killed, Music companies sued them in 2016, then Google started blocking them and now the RIAA and UK equivalent BPI filed suit and have taken over the sight.

I cannot tell you how many wonderful old songs that are unavailable ANYWHERE I have downloaded through this site (for several reasons) but now I will find another way,

and post it here

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
    My favorite non-profit site is finally killed,
    Noooooooooooooo!
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

there are people who still listen to .mp3 files?!?

why go lossy when you can go lossless?
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
        It's good enough for learning tunes fast.

Like when your sister in NJ wants you to accompany her friend singing a Whitney Houston song at her wedding ceremony, and he emails you sheet music in "his" key of Bb, with piano backup that makes no musical sense, so you rip the tune which was recorded in E, with amorphous jangly guitar chords with high E&B note drones, and pop it into Audacity and transpose it first down half an octave, then up half an octave, trying to find a way to approximate the feel without either a baritone guitar or a ukulele......
        Last edited by rjb; 09-06-2017, 11:39 PM.
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
          Smaller file size, greater portability. Fidelity is a laudable goal, but I've heard some great music on cassette tape. I eventually bought the same albums on CD but somehow the songwriting didn't get any better between the two formats. When I backup CDs, I do so in FLAC via EAC, but I'm closing in on 1.5 TB of music and tripling or quadrupling that size for a largely inaudible (if mathematically undeniable) increase in fidelity seems silly.

Then again, my TV is small and most things I watch are in 480p. :P

When I really like an album, I generally purchase it on vinyl, and then it goes on The Good System(tm) but 90% of my listening is done in the car, and the compression algorithm is far from the weakest link in that chain.

Comment

There are people who still eat at McDonalds??? WHy eat crap when you can have a good meal?
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Maybe more work but this is how I do it.

Ant Video Downloader (add on for firefox, chrome, or IE). Downloads as FLV
              Then I convert the FLV to MP3 using Any Video Converter.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

i think it's ironic that people here will fuss over tube amps, refusing to play SS gear, and then listen to music on mp3.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

by any chance are you mp3 users also running windows based computers?

Comment

If I'm listening for the sake of enjoyment, it's hard to tolerate MP3's. rjb makes a valid point, though. I often use MP3's for learning songs. I do quite a few fill in gigs and I'm not going to go purchase media for a one time thing, especially if it's something I don't even like. They are certainly good enough for learning songs and readily available..........until now?
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                      ...her friend singing a Whitney Houston song at her wedding ceremony, and he emails you sheet music in "his" key of Bb, with piano backup that makes no musical sense
                      For a minute there, I was wondering how come I know your sister's friend.

Then I realized that, though the "piano backup that makes no musical sense" bit sounds very familiar, I don't know any dudes who sing Whitney Houston songs.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

Originally posted by Gnobuddy View Post
                        ...I don't know any dudes who sing Whitney Houston songs.
                        Well, you know those NYC metro area "theater people"... or maybe you don't.
                        -rb

PS - When sung half an octave below the recording, it kinda stops being a Whitney Houston song.
                        Last edited by rjb; 09-07-2017, 12:01 AM.
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by Gnobuddy View Post
                          I don't know any dudes who sing Whitney Houston songs.
                          Well I did get a couple rides in Whitney's limo... That was back in 1994, in LA, one trip was out to a desert radio station near Palm Springs. My, don't that make me posh! No we didn't listen to any of her songs. Nor did we sing any.
                          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Was Kevin Costner with her?
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                              Was Kevin Costner with her?
                              I doubt it, he was probably too busy admiring himself in a large mirror.

Real-life security guards have to be willing to play second-fiddle, to put their employer's life above their own, to be self-sacrificial. Those aren't exactly the characteristics of the typically self-obsessed, narcissistic people who claw their way to acting stardom.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

Working...
                              X