Black foam turns to goo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black foam turns to goo!

I have an old rack case that had foam on the inside of the covers. The black foam has turned into a tar-like goo. I scraped most of the goo off the lid but it was like scraping bubble gum off a hot sidewalk. How do a remove the remaining residue? Thanks!

If you can get hold of ethyl acetate, it's great for removing adhesive residue. I think there's a commercial product called "Goof-Off" that might work.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

"Goo Gone" works pretty good. I think you'll find it at your local grocery store.

PS: I forgot, WD40 is a great solvent too, excellent for removing dried up duck tape. Give it a try. It's a poor lubricant BTW.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I had the same problem and used a hot air gun and paint scraper. The remaining residue came off with cellulose thinners and left a good surface to reline with new foam.

Comment

It depends on the foam. I encountered gooey foam in an old Ashly piece. The magic solvent for that goo was H2O.

Comment

I'd use Goof Off which is made for just that situation, or acetone.
            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
            X