Peavey VYPYR Tube 60 and Sanpera 2 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey VYPYR Tube 60 and Sanpera 2 Problem

Hello, all! I could use a bit of your help if you don't mind.

I have a first generation Peavey VYPYR Tube 60 guitar amplifier with a newer Sanpera 2 foot controller. All was working great (this REALLY is a great-sounding amp) until my HEFTY SISTER IN LAW stepped on the cable connected to the Sanpera 2. The cable disconnected, broke apart and shorted something out inside the amp. Now there is no power to the amp face or the footswitch.

I spoke with a couple of amp techs, and they said it sounds like an internal fuse , breaker or braking resistor- (internal to amp), popped in the MIDI circuit board inside the amp. I took my amp apart many times and the MIDI board is easily accessible - a couple of screws, unplug two glued-on connectors, voila! The questions are:

1. Do all the first generation VYPYRS (Tube or SS) use the same MIDI circuit board assembly inside the amp? (It would make a lot of sense if they did, at least on amps similar in size. Both amps used the footswitches identicially)
    2. If not, can anyone tell me which models would have a similar assembly to a Tube 60?
    3. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it using Peavey or third party parts?
    4. All other advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I can do the work, but I need parts. I was thinking of buying a beat-up VYPYR and dissecting it to get what I need. If that's not feasible, I can call Peavey or a part-tech shop and they'll provide some guidance. My last resort is bringing it to the shop like I normally do, but I'm not ready to go there if there's a chance I can swap out a simple part for less money.

Thanks in advance and cheers to my guitar-playing, amp-knowing brothers,
    B Harpe

I suggest a strategy might be to measure some voltages first to find out where the problem is before spending any $$$.

On the power amp/ power supply board there is a 30V rail that drives the pedal. Check for 30V or so on P6 pin 7. If that is bad check R21 220k.

Peavey_Vypyr_60_Power_Amp_Schematic.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nickb; 09-24-2017, 07:07 AM.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Thank you, Nick! I'll read the attached schematics (thank you) to try and retrace your steps. I read something yesterday where a guy said he had to replace the power tubes to fix this problem, but it seemed illogical and unrelated, so I ignored it. By you mentioning the power supply, it makes me think outside of the MIDI PB board idea... I also read something about R21 220K somewhere in the Peavey VYPYR forums, but it wasn't explained as thoroughly as it was in your post. I'll check it all out and will reply.
      Thanks again.
      BH

Comment

Nick,
        Here's a PDF schematic I found when typing 'Peavey VYPYR R21 220K. It mention an 'important fuse'. Please see this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...S03d0Z4WHk1cHc

Thanks,

Comment

It says "Important fuse info" next to the main AC fuse. As your amp powers up that is not the issue.
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
          X