Speaker question on Peavey Triumph 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker question on Peavey Triumph 60

Finding conflicting information on the internet. Looked in the manual online and didn't see it. Trying to figure out if the Triumph 60 combo amp originally came with a regular Scorpion or Scorpion Ultra? If it was the Ultra was it a matter of power handling or voicing? It seems like the regular Scorpion should be able to handle the power of the Triumph 60, the 120 would obviously need something bigger. I don't have an Ultra, just regular Scorpions or a Scorpion Plus from a Special 112 (4 ohm so I would use the aux speaker jack). Going to be selling this amp now that I got it fixed so would rather put in a speaker that I have rather than buying something else.

Thanks,
    Greg

Even the "regular" Scorpion has way more power handling that you need there.

Killer speakers, 99.9% users donīt know what they have there, itīs actually a "mini EVM12L", complete with 2" voice coil (EVM has 2.5"), edgewound aluminum on a kapton former, curvilinear cone, tight machined structure, so precise that you can unbolt a magnet and mount it on a replacement one and it is perfectly centered, no shims necessary.

Only real difference is that it does not have the monster EVM magnet (190mm diameter) but a mid scale Eminence or Celestion type one (around 135mm) .

Voice coil is actually rated 200W RMS and they use the exact same speaker in their 200W PA cabinets ... with an added tweeter horn of course.

Killer speakers and can be had for peanuts because of the very unfair "Peavey stigma".

Guess the Ultra is exactly the same but with a way larger magnet.
    Maybe not a 190mm but 147 or 169mm which are the next higher standard sizes.

Only "problem" , which is not a problem at all, just a different goal, is that it does not have the typical mid-high presence peak typical guitar speakers have (Jensen/Celestion/Eminence) but is smooth like EV .
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The Peavey Triumph 60 combo used the regular Scorpion square-frame speaker I believe, while the Ultra combos were all Sheffields. They would both probably sound better with a well chosen Eminence but that's what they shipped with.

Comment

Ted, I think you are confusing the Scorpion Ultra speaker the OP mentions with the Ultra model amp.

Peavey made Scorpion, Scorpion Plus, and Scorpion Ultra speakers.

The Ultra amp model names are totally separate from speaker types.

The Peavey speaker listing shows the Scorpion Ultra as the speaker used. But as Juan says, any Scorpion will work fine. The same speaker was used in both the 60 and 120 watt versions.

You want to sell the amp, so put an 8 ohm speaker in it. Don't stick a 4 ohm in it and wire it to the AUX jack. That is just not fair to the buyer.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks everyone, an 8 ohm regular Scorpion it is!

Comment

Most people with Scorpion Ultras in their Triumph 60's have a love/hate relationship: like the sound , hate the weight!
            They are an 18lb PA 12"that can handle 150W continuous, super overkill for a 60w amp and way different to Eq than a typical "guitar speaker" They were bulletproof and heavy like a tank.

Peavey was at a real disadvantage selling combos with such expensive PA 12s, and quickly moved to making their own stamped steel frame "gitar type" speakers in most of their subsequent combos

And I know the Ultra Amps didn't have Ultra Scorpions! Even the Ultra 410 had Blue Marvels, which were re-branded Eminence units, While the Ultra 112 and 212 got 12" Sheffields.

I believe Sheffields were Peavey's first in-house made versions of Celestion type gitars speakers, and tons cheaper than re-purposed PA drivers.

Comment

Wha???

The only Scorpion Ultra in the listing is the one used in the Triumph 60 and 120 as well as the MS212 cab. Not used in PA systems. I don't know why they would voice a guitar speaker for PA use, and not use them in PA cabs. There were regular Scorpions and Scorpion Plus speakers used in PAs though.

150 watts might be overkill for a 60 watt amp, but it was also used in the 120 watt models.

Peavey was at a real disadvantage selling combos with such expensive PA 12s, and quickly moved to making their own stamped steel frame "gitar type" speakers in most of their subsequent combo
              Many models prior to this were offered with cast basket Scorpions and/or Black Widows, but they also offered stamped basket speakers. PV bought most of them from EMinence. And later the "Blue Marvel" came along. Blue Marvel was just a trade name they put on speakers that were not made at PV. Some were Eminence, others were imports.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This is the regular Scorpion:
                https://assets.peavey.com/literature...1153_26350.pdf
                and I have downloaded somewhere the spec sheet for a Peavey 200W PA speaker (there might have also been a floor monitor version) fitted with a regular Scorpion and a horn.
                Iīll post it if I find it.

This is the Scorpion Ultra: same basket so same cone, voice coil, etc. but with a way larger magnet (not as large as the EV ones though):
                https://www.peavey.com/forum/downloa...effdeb0f767a0f

didnīt see this one used in PA speakers, might have or not, canīt vouch either way.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                X