Java on 64-bit Linux... Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java on 64-bit Linux... Anyone?

Just wondering if anyone has got Java apps (the kind where you download a jnlp file and launch it with javaws so that it runs independent of your browser) running on a 64-bit linux system.

I used to be able to run .jnlp files with Firefox but all of that went to crap a while ago. I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get Java to work with either firefox or chrome ... no dice.

It's beginning to look like neither one supports Java -- Chrome just doesn't support Java -- period, while Firefox seems to have totally stopped supporting it on 64-bit systems.

Unless I'm missing something the only way to do it is to build a 32-bit system and run firefox. 32 bit? Aargh.

I'm hoping that I'm missing something and there's a way around this that doesn't force me to step back 10 years in progress and run a 32-bit system.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Originally posted by bob p View Post
    It's beginning to look like neither one supports Java -- Chrome just doesn't support Java -- period,
    Would these help?

https://techhelpkb.com/how-to-use-ja...google-chrome/
    One method to use Java in Google Chrome is to install the IE Tab extension. The “IE” in IE Tab is an abbreviation for Internet Explorer. Available for Chrome from the Chrome Web Store, IE Tab emulates Internet Explorer within a Chrome browser window.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...r-web-browsers
    Last edited by rjb; 09-28-2017, 03:29 PM.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

The only java I need is firefox javascript.
      I use Hushmail some, and it requires javascript be enabled.
      To check to see if it is enabled, just type about:config in the address bar.
      The other thing I wrestle with in linux is flashplayer.
      To install it, install flashplugin-installer.
      T
      **https://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp
      Last edited by big_teee; 09-28-2017, 04:47 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        The only java I need is firefox javascript.
        As far as I know, Java and Javascript are two entirely different things. They only share four letters in the name because some marketing twit at Sun thought it would be a good idea. Java was intended to be a powerful and complete "write once, run anywhere" language. Initially, Javascript was a simple little scripting language that let you add a little bit of extra responsiveness to HTML (web pages).

About ten years ago, I used to run across Java applets on the 'Web. It was the only way to deploy a fairly powerful program inside someone's browser. Then people discovered that Java applets were a security nightmare. In the mean time, Javascript arrived and was able to take over many of the simpler jobs Java was doing.

Between the severe and ongoing security problems of Java, and the relative ease-of-use and adequacy of Javascript, Java started to be used less and less on the 'Web. In the years after that, Javascript seems to have become much more powerful, while Java has almost entirely disappeared off the 'Web (though it's still used elsewhere, for instance, its the official app development language for Android, and I believe a good part of the Android OS itself is essentially written in Java.)

Bob, I found this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/7622...fine-on-ubuntu

One of the replies there might offer you some hope:
        This seems to be Ubuntu bug #1550244: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...8/+bug/1550244.

A fix does not seem to be available for Ubuntu 16.04 just yet but I grabbed the openjdk packages from Ubuntu 16.10, installed them on 16.04, and that fixed the problem.
        -Gnobuddy

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
          Would these help?

https://techhelpkb.com/how-to-use-ja...google-chrome/
          One method to use Java in Google Chrome is to install the IE Tab extension. The “IE” in IE Tab is an abbreviation for Internet Explorer. Available for Chrome from the Chrome Web Store, IE Tab emulates Internet Explorer within a Chrome browser window.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...r-web-browsers
          Thanks for the help. It looks like IE Tab is a Windows-only solution.

Sorry, but IE Tab is not supported on your platform.

Unfortunately the Chrome Web Store does not allow us to indicate in advance that Mac & Linux are not supported or we would have saved you the trouble of installing.
          https://www.ietab.net/notsupported?uninstalled=1

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by Gnobuddy View Post
            As far as I know, Java and Javascript are two entirely different things.
            Yes, Java and javascript are entirely different, even though they have similar names (just to confuse everyone).

My specific problem isn't related to the installation of the jdk packages, I've got that working fine on F26. My problem is that both Chrome and 64-bit Firefox have removed all support for Java. I'm able to download the .jnlp applications from the web servers, but the applications fail when the browser passes them off to java web start for execution.

The fact that Chrome just won't allow java (period) takes Chrome out of the equation. The fact that Firefox deliberately does not support java on 64-bit Firefox means that in order to use Firefox I'd have to be running on a 32-bit system. I haven't run a 32-bit system in longer than I can remember.

This means that I either have to build a vintage 32-bit Linux system on bare metal or I have to virtualize a 32-bit system on F26.

I tried virtualizing Windows 7 inside of F26 today. I'm able to get Java and Java Web Start working properly, but I just hate working inside of a virtualized space. It's ridiculous that I have to waste 30 GB of disk space just to create a Windows image that will run one application, and that the Windows display resolution in virtualized Win 7 is so limited. My linux box has a 4k display.

Comment

Thanks for the help. It looks like IE Tab is a Windows-only solution.
              WTF? What good is an IE emulator that only runs in Windows?
              So, "WINDOWS ONLY -- WINDOWS ONLY" means "ignore all the pesky words in this description because they're bullshit"?
              Or do I not understand the words (a very real possibility)?

-rb

Compatible with your device

Display web pages using IE within Chrome. Use Java, Silverlight, ActiveX, Sharepoint, and more. A "Top 10" extension since 2009!

.Top 10 Chrome extension since 2009!-- WINDOWS ONLY -- WINDOWS ONLY --IE Tab exactly emulates IE by using the IE rendering engine directly within Chrome. This will enable you to use ActiveX controls and test your web pages with different versions of IE (IE6, IE7, IE8, or IE9).-- FEATURES --* Create a list of URLs that will automatically open in IE Tab* Group Policy support for enterprise deployments* Securely use the old IE rendering engine* Edit Sharepoint documents instead of opening read-only* Use Java, Silverlight, and ActiveX in Chrome seamlesslyFREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS1. Why do I have to install ietabhelper.exe?IE Tab uses the Internet Explorer rendering engine. This rendering engine can't be directly accessed from a Chrome extension, so we need a helper process to talk between the Chrome extension and the rendering engine. 2. Did IE Tab always require this extra program?No. Chrome used to support a technology called NPAPI (the Netscape Plugin API) which allowed extensions to access local computer resources. IE Tab used to use that functionality to access the Internet Explorer rendering engine. But Chrome removed NPAPI support, so we were forced to implement a new solution, and that solution requires a separate helper executable. From a technical standpoint, the only real change is that our code moved from an NPAPI .DLL file to a helper .EXE file. 3. Is the IE Tab Helper application safe?Absolutely! IE Tab has always used native code, and we have always treated the security of our 2+ million users very seriously. So you can rest assured that this helper executable is secure and trustworthy. 4. I'm an enterprise customer, how do I deploy the IE Tab Helper automatically?We have enterprise deployment options, please contact us at support@ietab.net for details. The Privacy Policy for the IE Tab extension can be found here: http://www.ietab.net/privacy.html
              Compatible with your device

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

My problem is that both Chrome and 64-bit Firefox have removed all support for Java.
                They removed it because Java running in a browser turned out to be a huge gaping security hole that is impossible to patch. In other words, they removed it for a very good reason.

Just think of it, Google conquered the world with Java (in the form of Android), and they still don't want it in their browser. It's that bad an idea.

With all due respect, and only because I care, is there any chance that what you are trying to do is the equivalent of defeating seven separate safety interlocks that are all trying to keep you from shooting your own foot off?

-Gnobuddy

Comment

I have Oracle Java 9 installed and running on Ubuntu if that's what you mean. I launch java apps separate from the browser.

Comment

Working...
                  X