Disposing of broken speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposing of broken speakers?

I'm probably overthinking this, but what is the best way to dispose of speakers that aren't worth saving? Prefer to recycle, but it seems like the magnets could cause problems at the recycling center by sticking to the dumpsters or the handling equipment.

Greg

Donīt overthink it

By the way, recyclers handle WAY nastier stuff .
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I took my dead speakers to the scrap yard when I cleared my shop, they never blinked an eye at them.

Once those magnets shatter, they don't offer a lot of resistance to the machine.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

raw speakers or cabinets?

around here neither one will last long enough in the alley for the garbage man to get it -- a scavenger always hits it first.
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
          it seems like the magnets could cause problems at the recycling center by sticking to the dumpsters or the handling equipment.
          There's a thought. Meanwhile what I've observed at the metal scrapyard, is they have a small crane with a big electromagnet hung on a chain and use that to pick iron/steel out of the mixed metals pile. All a speaker magnet would do is assist the process by doing a little pre-sorting of its own.

Since our town has issued recycling bins to each house, I just toss in any metal waste including speakers. If I had enough to make it worthwhile turning in for cash I'd haul 'em to that scrap yard, probably get enough to pay for my gas to get there & return home. Copper is another matter. I have a couple hundred line cords removed from amps. Might be enough value there to buy a good case of beer.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
            Copper is another matter. I have a couple hundred line cords removed from amps. Might be enough value there to buy a good case of beer.
            What about the decades worth of dead transformers you all must have accumulated over the years? I assume some must have hundreds and hundreds of pounds.

could be an early retirement

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
              What about the decades worth of dead transformers you all must have accumulated over the years? I assume some must have hundreds and hundreds of pounds.

could be an early retirement
              I had a neighbor who scrapped - gave him roasted transformers to add to his iron pile. He hasn't been to the yard for a while, recovering from cancer & treatment for that. Since then I've gathered less than 100 pounds of kaput trafos. But I do have a couple lawnmowers to haul in, so I'll bring those too. Probably be able to buy a sixer of Milwaukee's Best.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I have been buying dollar beer lately. $1 for a 24 ounce can. What you might call lawnmower beer. Something non-sweet to quaff with my hot dogs or chili. NAtural Light and Keystone light have been the dollar lately. Can't quite bring myself to drink Milwaukee's Best though.

BAck in the day, we used to drink a lot of Falstaff. It cost about half what other beer cost. And bonus: on the underside of the bottle caps was a rebus puzzle. Don't know if that brand even exists any more.

On more adventurous days, I might spring the extra 10-20 cents and get a Genesee Cream Ale, or a Rolling Rock.

Pretty sure I have a dead lawn mower...
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Local little scrap yard takes all old speakers and tranny's I box up along with lawnmowers, washing machine etc.

They weigh the van on the way in and then again when it's empty.
                  Then I have a few bucks for beer.

Comment

You haven't had a beer until you have tried a Shiner out of Shiner, Texas or a Dixie or Jax out of Louisiana..Jax had a picture of it's brewer on the bottle. It was a horse.

Comment

Playing at a bar years ago out here in the Philly burbs and bandmate orders a Yuengling as we get domestic beer free.
                      Barmaid says "that's an import"
                      Import? It's brewed like an hour away from here. You don't get more domestic than that.

She didn't believe us.

Comment

...Click image for larger version

Name:	idadb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	847338
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I like when I went from Dublin to Belfast and was wondering why Guinness got more expensive all of a sudden... also an import.

Justin
                          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                            Playing at a bar years ago out here in the Philly burbs and bandmate orders a Yuengling as we get domestic beer free.
                            Barmaid says "that's an import"
                            Import? It's brewed like an hour away from here. You don't get more domestic than that.

She didn't believe us.
                            Wow, I had to google it.
                            By the name I thought it was the very Chinese "Yueng Ling" and wondered: are Chinese buying breweries now? .... one of the few production areas still in American hands?"

But found it was founded by an old German immigrant in 1829 .... cool
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                              Wow, I had to google it.
                              By the name I thought it was the very Chinese "Yueng Ling" and wondered: are Chinese buying breweries now? .... one of the few production areas still in American hands?"

But found it was founded by an old German immigrant in 1829 .... cool
                              What's odd to me, is that as a resident of the US midwest, I had never heard of it until a few years ago. I guess that was their first expansion into Ohio?
                              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X