Convert Hot Rod Deluxe to SE 6V6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Hot Rod Deluxe to SE 6V6?

This is a project in the thinking stage, so feel free to say if this is a terrible idea.

I've got this Hot Rod Deluxe that I don't think is worth fixing. The PT is blown (likely overheated), the power tubes are probably shot from overheating, speaker missing, reverb tank may be mismatch, and it smells like nasty cigarettes. I also have a 1950's Capehart radio/record player combo that is pretty much worthless to me, but I know the electronics in it work. My thought is to take the PT, OT, 6V6GT, and 12" alnico speaker from the Capehart and turn the HRDlx into a low power combo. I had a VHT Classic 6 for a bit that was pretty great, so something in that vein, but to keep the reverb and two channels would be nice.

The Capehart has 8 tubes total, the converted HRDlx would only have three (I think), the 6V6 and two 12AX7s, since I wouldn't need the PI tube, so it seems like the PT should be able to handle the current for filaments. The high voltage current doesn't seem like it should be higher with the lower number of tubes. Would need to figure out how to get the +/-16V for op amps and the AC for the footswitch, but it seems like those could be worked out later. I'd be fine with a small transformer just for these. Seems like I could either use tube rectifier from the Capehart or use the rectifier in the HRDlx(?).

Schematic for the Capehart:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	capehart_farnsworth_farnsworth_tv_radio_corp_1005_b_pg22-6.png
Views:	1
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	872896

Click image for larger version

Name:	capehart_farnsworth_farnsworth_tv_radio_corp_1005_b_pg22-4.png
Views:	1
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	872897

Schematic for HRDLx: