Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Joe Walsh went to high school in the next town (Montclair),
    I went to high school with a guy who used to beat up Jon Bon Jovi in grammar school (Sayreville).

-rb
    Last edited by rjb; 10-07-2017, 11:46 PM.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      FWIW I am in Argentina, 6000/8000 miles away, and clearly remember 90% songs from that Billboard list, most heard through the radio,....
      Yea, yea, yea, and in the U.S.A. we had the Bossa Nova craze with the the Gilberto and the Jobim and the Brazil '66 and all that (and yes I know that Brazil and Argentina aren't the same place, but they're in the same general direction) but the thing is, I have a hunch that Mom was in Korea. The culture might have been a bit different there.

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
      Now where can we find a nice sort-of hi fi for our new friend workinghard17? Mom might have to settle for some kind of boom box.
      OK, let's think form, fit, function.... Nah, I don't feel like being so structured.

Maybe the linked Wolverine speaker/radio is the way to go.
      What are the requirements? I think just radio with phono input. Easy human interface, and bonus points for looking like Mom's.
      The Wolverine doesn't have phono input, but it does have a 3.5mm AUX in jack.

So, assuming the original turntable still works, we need a separate phono preamp and RCA to 3.5mm mini plug stereo cable.
      https://turntabledoc.com/everything-...age-turntable/

BTW, I didn't realize that "retro radios" are currently a thing.
      https://flipboard.com/@juleshart/top-10-best-retro-radios-reviews-2016-2017-bfccpcgqy
      https://www.amazon.com/slp/retro-radio/ezuvmmar5v6x3nh
      I'm still not 100% sure this thread isn't a wild spam chase, but I have learned something.

-rb
      Last edited by rjb; 10-08-2017, 04:46 AM. Reason: Replaced wrong link (Top 10 Retro Radios)
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
        I went to high school with a guy who used to beat up Jon Bon Jovi in grammar school (Sayreville).

-rb
        Really need a "love" button here!!!
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

In the early 90s I was on a team that played paintball. We played against the Steve Miller Band on our home turf. I got in a few headshots too.
          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            At 62 I would think a retro table radio (or an actual vintage table radio) is WAAAY too retro.
            And WAAAY to much of an electrocution risk. The All-American Five had a hot chassis in a flimsy bakelite shell.
            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
              The All-American Five had a hot chassis in a flimsy bakelite shell.
              If the fake repro is at all accurate, I think Mom has a hot chassis in a flimsy wooden shell.*

-rb

*Somehow that sounds lewd, but I'm not going to edit it.
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

FWIW my Father stayed up way after midnight filling up paperwork from his Doctor office , gnarling about the bureaucracy ("it takes me 10 minutes to check a Patient and 20 to fill properly all his Health Insurance forms") , while listening to his Philips AC DC Bakelite cased radio, with the huge Litz wire antenna coil wound around the hardboard back.
                Which one day turned from Black to beautiful hue of Blue, which I could never ever reproduce.
                When asked, : "a Patient has no money, and offered to paint the radio in exchange".
                He never charged the poor people and many *literally* paid with chickens.
                Alive at first until my Mother asked them: "please, at least bring them killed and cleaned, I can`t stand that"

Oh, the music?
                Being a dyed in the wool Patriot, he only listened to Tango and Folkloric Music and wasnīt very happy about my love for Rock and Blues but didnīt stop me either.

The radio itself?
                I still keep it, but donīt dare to plug it in, for fear of having electrolytics explode and no real wish to *listen* to it, itīs kept strictly for Nostalgia reasons.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

oh so many ideas. but i think i found what i am looking for and i bought it for $220. and yes i am not a Californian i just live here temporary because of of my job. i am a Filipino so i live in philippines. i was a VA/virtual assistant. and my employer is from cal. so he promote me as a PA/personal assistan. that is why i am here now in cal.

should i close this thread?? how?
                  Last edited by workinghard17; 10-09-2017, 02:53 AM.

Comment

You don't need to close it. Glad to hear you found what you were looking for.
                    Sorry about the spam thing, I was mistaken. I hope you can sort out that link that is causing you trouble.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

i solve that issue i just bought a new laptop. ahahahaha. thanks by the way. now i feel like a member here not a spammer.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Which speaker unit did you end up buying?
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                        X