No announcement yet.

The cost of gear, some interesting data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently they went to the moon in a bean can back then and managed to get back too?? but despite all the advancements in technology they havnt been back there yet!!!! It's amazing how we all believe what we are told even though it's all utter rubbish an amp is an amp and a guitar is a guitar I've met many a musician with all the gear that sounded dreadful and I've met many a musician on the breadline with cheap equipment that sounded fantastic talent beats money everytime in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      I am pretty sure there will be no Mighty Enzo tribute bands.
      Didn't you say that you wrote country tunes that included subjects like your dog and your pickup truck? If that's the case, then every country band is a Mighty Enzo tribute band.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        I have been waiting for a Hello Kitty axe to fall into my grasp for a long time.
        Good luck with the wait. They were available for $99 as a MF Stupid Deal of the Day when nobody wanted them. Then a few metal guys started playing them as a lark and now the prices are ridiculous. $250 to $300 for a used one, $500 for a new one.

they're one of Fender's weirdest "collectibles."

I think they need to do a reissue!
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Same as David Gilmour. What makes The Black Strat special is a decades-long association with a single man, with scores of incremental changes, experiments, and improvements as needed at the time to suit the needs of That Player at That Time. But it started as just another ordinary Strat @ Manny's...

Oh, the hands help, too... I guess Jimi didn't have long enough to change any of his guitars, though... the point is, it's the player who makes the instrument special. To them, they're just tools... if they take the time to know that plain old guitar, something more might come out of it. Maybe if Jimi hadn't sacrificed all of his...

Justin

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
            I guess Jimi didn't have long enough to change any of his guitars, though...
            Not for lack of trying. Legend has it Jimi would fire up a soldering iron and try to "improve" his guitars days off on tour. And his crew had to set 'em back to working right. Don't burn those fingers Jimi, you're gonna need 'em all for the show!

Another legend, there are four Gilmour "blackies." At least one of them had its bridge changed to Floyd Rose then back again to stock. You can see where the hole was bondoed and repainted, a sunken rectangle apparent in photos where the light hits it just right. To get the straight story, you'd have to query Phil Taylor.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Well, actually...

I own both hardcover and paperback of Phil Taylor's book on the subject. There's only been one The Black Strat since the first black Strat was stolen way back in 68 or 69. Now, "The" Black Strat has gone through many (MANY!) modifications, but no matter the particular iteration, it's the same guitar.

The Fender Custom Shop <DID> make several prototypes of the Original, but I don't count those.
              And it was a Kahler, not a Floyd.

Justin

Edit: sadly, I am suffering a sense of glee in being able to be an "authority" on some topic on this board... I think I need to go hang it up now, as I've become a pompous arrogant elitist! :P
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                Edit: sadly, I am suffering a sense of glee in being able to be an "authority" on some topic on this board... I think I need to go hang it up now, as I've become a pompous arrogant elitist! :P
                Oh, you shine here. Pompous becomes a non issue once you've shined

To be clear on that... Trusted is part of "shining" here. If you're S@M or booreamps () then pompous stops working in short order. There are guys that go through life (and even GET through life) by "expertizing". Acting like an expert though they're not and then exploiting the suckers that buy in. YOU AREN'T THAT!

So get out your pom poms and pompous away my friend. It's an earned credit that comes with seniority and exceptional character.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thought you guys were talking about this Phil Taylor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015PhilTaylor_GettyImages-110055784121115-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	847546

I was like "when did MOTORHEAD tour with Pink Floyd, and why would Philthy care about the guitars?"

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                    The scuttlebutt I heard, there were fewer than 1000 '59 LP's made, but over 3000 in circulation. Hmm....
                    Not to mention that in the '70s, the pickups in 627 of the originals were replaced with DiMarzio SDs.....
                    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                    X