No announcement yet.

Bose L1 Volume pot replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I finally got to installing the 3k9 resistor and presto it works magnifico!! Before it was not getting good strong signal until about halfway point on the volume knob. Now it kicks in much sooner around 20-30% of the rotation into the volume. Mark thank you so much for hanging in there with me on this one, you rock man!!
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Hey DrGonz, I've got a couple of bad volume pots on an L1 Compact, seems to be needing the same treatment as the unit you repaired in this thread. Can you point me to where you found these parts, or are you still doing these repairs?

Comment

Originally posted by Cjk View Post
        Hey DrGonz, I've got a couple of bad volume pots on an L1 Compact, seems to be needing the same treatment as the unit you repaired in this thread. Can you point me to where you found these parts, or are you still doing these repairs?
        I found the part on ebay. I looked around tonight and didn’t find anything except some UK distributor. The exact pot part was impossible to find. When I called Bose they denied my request to buy the part from them. So 10k pot turned into a 20k part and with the help of MarkusBass I was able to mod the circuit.

Look at this link for >>> A10K - DUAL GANG - D shaft - Alpha Vertical 9mm Potentiometer
        https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/alpha-9mm-pots-dshaft/

This might be a good replacement but shipping to US will take a long time.

I also came across this one too.
        https://www.blore-ed.com/product-pag...rtical-pin-pot

Never heard of the company before but that’s the correct resistance for the part I could not find back in 2017. Searching for parts like these is always like jumping in the rabbit hole.
        Last edited by DrGonz78; 03-28-2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Also note that the original part is 10k-c for reverse taper. Even harder to find. The links that I just posted are type A10k log pots. A Linear B type pot might substitute better possibly. All I could find was this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-9mm-Alp...-/252401104882

It is 50k type pot and you will need to alter other resistors in the circuit to make it work correctly.

Comment

Sorry it's been a while since writing, thank you for your help! I thought I'd ask, do you recall if the unit you worked on was the smaller L1 Compact, or was it one of the larger towers, like the L1 Classic? I ask, because I came across someone else stating the part for the L1 Compact is an A20K ohm dual pot. The Volume Pot has 9F3 written on the side. Thanks!

Comment

It was L1 compact model. Refer to my post#1 in this thread and it links the schematic. Which version are you working on?

edit: I see in your first post it is compact model. Look at the designation on the schematic to locate the parts value. Compare parts to the schematic to make sure the version is the same.

Comment

Working...
              X