TS-9 Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS-9 Problems

I bought a used 83-TS9 and am having an issue with getting the 4.5 V. Basically the LED is stuck in the on position and no sound. It looks as if there are two 10k resistors that split the 9V into the 4.5 then it moves on. There is no 4.5V at this point.

Im more familiar with tube amps,but i have a decent knowledge of SS pedals,but this one has puzzled me.

Please post a TS9 schematic, preferrably the original Japanese/Factory one (I have seen it somewhere) so it best matches your pedal guts, maybe even part ID names, so we can suggest some specific voltage measurements and tests.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I have not been able to find a TS( but i found a TS808 which is virtually identical. Let me see if i can post a picClick image for larger version

Name:	TS-9.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	847634

Comment

If the voltage is not there, either something is open or something is shorted. One of the 10k is open, the cap 47uf is shorted, or wherever the 4.5v goes to is shorted.

Comment

The two 10k test good,new 47 cap installed. According to the schematic,the 4.5v starts at those two 10k resistors as far as i can tell.

Comment

Is the 9V getting to one of the 10K resistors? Are you using a battery?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

That would be my question: do you have the 9Vdc.

The input jack is supposed to be a 'stereo' jack (TRS).
              When nothing is plugged in, the battery ground is not connected to circuit ground.(LED Off)
              Inserting a plug will complete the grounding scheme & light the LED.

Comment

9V is getting to the two 10ks,yes

Comment

I use a battery exclusively. Already replaced the DC jack just to be sure and checked the connections to the jacks and verified the jacks to be operational. Also checked the LED itself to be working correctly in and out of circuit. Of all the schematics I lookd at,most showed the 4.v originating from the two 10k resistors and the 47uf and 100uf caps,all of which have been changed with new parts(nichicon and RN55 Dale)

Comment

You say your 9v gets to the two 10k resistors. OK, but what happens to it then? Normally the 9v gets to one end of one of them. They are in series from 9v to ground. That means there SHOULD be 4.5v at the joint between the two. Now we either have 4.5v there, but it doesn't reach the circuits or we do not. If we do not, we might have zero, meaning the upper one is open or not connected. If we have 9v at the joint between, then the lower resistor is open or not grounded.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You could try measuring the 10K R junction to ground.
                      If it is loaded down elsewhere that could cause an issue.

Comment

The pedal is at work and I'll have to check it Monday. Seems that grounding could be an issue. Im lucky to have a second TS9 open on the bench next to it so i can compare voltages. I guess ill have to pick this up Monday.

Comment

Its at work and im going to check Monday afternoon when i get back. Too bad the factory schematic service manual is not available. It would help identifying
                          parts.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                            Please post a TS9 schematic, preferrably the original Japanese/Factory one (I have seen it somewhere) so it best matches your pedal guts, maybe even part ID names, so we can suggest some specific voltage measurements and tests.
                            Will this work?

Thanks,
                            nosaj
                            ibanez_ts9_tubescreamer.pdf
                            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

By the way thank you all for the help so far. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X