Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nashville Tele Setup - Here's a puzzle for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nashville Tele Setup - Here's a puzzle for you!

Hey everyone,

I've been asked to wind a custom strat pickup to be fitted in a telecaster, so that it basically becomes a nashville tele type...

Now, what I'd like to know is what sort of winding direction and magnet orientation should I have considering I'll have to adapt to the existing tele set... So the existing set is bridge ccw south up and the neck, cw north up. Commonly, one would just take the neck wiring and invert it (bearing in mind to detach the existing ground from the cover) and then my middle would take a CW wind. What about magnet orientation? Obviously, this is for a 5 way switch as on a 3 way, this wouldn't be a problem.

Also helpful to say, I do not have the tele set with me... this is on the guitar, with the client and a bit far...

Let em know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance for your insights

Cheers

Originally posted by TeleUser View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've been asked to wind a custom strat pickup to be fitted in a telecaster, so that it basically becomes a nashville tele type...

Now, what I'd like to know is what sort of winding direction and magnet orientation should I have considering I'll have to adapt to the existing tele set... So the existing set is bridge ccw south up and the neck, cw north up. Commonly, one would just take the neck wiring and invert it (bearing in mind to detach the existing ground from the cover) and then my middle would take a CW wind. What about magnet orientation? Obviously, this is for a 5 way switch as on a 3 way, this wouldn't be a problem.

Also helpful to say, I do not have the tele set with me... this is on the guitar, with the client and a bit far...

Let em know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance for your insights

Cheers
    I would flip the magnetic polarity on the neck or bridge pickup, depending on what polarity the middle pickup will be, for instance, Bridge (north), middle (South), Neck (north) so you have the best hum canceling solution with the pickup switch in position 2 and 4

Winding direction is not that important you can just swap the wires on the pickups so you get the phase right, easy to do with a multimeter and a screwdriver.
    Jason Lollar did a nice video on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lFQzmRvePc

You can easily swap the magnetic polarity with a magnetizer or a or couple of neo magnets

Have fun
    Claus Holm Jensen

Comment

I've done the middle pickup install a few times.
      I also always rewind one of the other pickups.
      Usually I rewind the neck pickup, cause I like a neck wound with 42, to sound more like a strat pickup.
      Also if you keep the start lead grounded, the pickup is quieter.
      So if you keep the bridge pickup CCW S/U, make the neck CCW S/U, and middle CW, N/U.
      Here's pics of my lefty pickup add.
      GL,
      T
      Attached Files
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys...

Just heard from the builder that this special tele will have a gibson toggle switch so, no issues...

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I like a neck wound with 42
          Hey T, how much wire can you get into that tele neck p'up using #42?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
          Milano, Italy

Comment

I like around 7700-7900 turns of SPN with close to 1/2 inch between the flats.
            With a metal cover I charge A5s to full gauss.
            Leaving a little extra magnet out the bottom doesn't hurt either.
            Give it a try!
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Working...
            X