Relicing tolex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relicing tolex?

I recently bought an old 70's Fender amp that is missing both back panels. I am going to buy new panels at Mojo Tone and want to "age" them to look like the rest of the amp. Any ideas how to accomplish this feat?

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
    I recently bought an old 70's Fender amp that is missing both back panels. I am going to buy new panels at Mojo Tone and want to "age" them to look like the rest of the amp. Any ideas how to accomplish this feat?
    I would start with some swath's of tolex to experiment with. The first thing that comes to mind in my head would be scrubbing it with some salt and a little water then lettering it sit in the sun some.
    Or you could do like these guys suggest.
    How do you "relic" tolex? | Telecaster Guitar Forum

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

...I am going to buy new panels at Mojo Tone and want to "age" them to look like the rest of the amp...
      Would you post pictures of the existing condition that you wish to match?

Comment

Alternate POV

An amp is a tool. Nobody is going to see the back panels. Leave them alone.

-rb
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I see why someone might want to do this, but I'd just let them "self-relic". They'll catch up eventually.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Basically I want to take the ArmorAll type gloss off of new tolex. I want the finish to be dull.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibrosonic 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	847665

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibrosonic 2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	847666

Comment

Personally, I'd want to "un-relic" the front panel controls first
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Send them to me. I'll leave them in my old, stone&plaster, leaky, musty, mildewy, fusty, nasty basement over the winter.

Justin
                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                  Send them to me. I'll leave them in my old, stone&plaster, leaky, musty, mildewy, fusty, nasty basement over the winter.

Justin
                  What about the cigarettes and spilled booze? Need me to stop over every once in a while?
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The cigarettes, you can tackle. I can haul them to the bar with me...

Justin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Basically I want to take the ArmorAll type gloss off of new tolex. I want the finish to be dull.
                      Oh, that's different. You just want to degloss the surface. That's easy....
                      Actually, I've never done it, but maybe one of these would work:
                      https://www.hunker.com/13420516/how-...l-from-plastic
                      https://itstillruns.com/remove-armor-5079651.html

Keeping in mind that Tolex isn't leather, some of the techniques here might be helpful, maybe.
                      https://www.wikihow.com/Dull-Leather

-rb
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I know guys who use a Scotchbrite pad to give chrome golf clubs a satin finish. Maybe it would work with tolex? Obviously with a lighter touch.

Comment

Yea, I was thinking that too (before I got Google-tracked).

-rb
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                          X