Circa 1950 Soapbars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circa 1950 Soapbars

Got a query from a guy about a "late 40's/early 50's" soapbar to use in the neck of a Tele. My understanding is that Alnico 5 wasn't invented until 1955 so that narrows the mag specs to A2/3/4 but that's about all I have. Anyone have any other knowledge/specs/data on soapbars of this era?

I thought A5s were invented during World War 2. ???
    Last edited by Jim Darr; 11-07-2017, 08:44 PM.
    =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Here is my understating of the P-90 origins.

Introduced in "46 the P-90 had a "Dog Ear" style configuration. I believe that very first "Soapbar" style was introduced when the first Les Pauls were produced. The two styles are essentially the same pickup with a different base-plate and mount to the guitar differently.

According to some, the early units had A3s, then they went to A5s.

Predecessors to the P-90 (the model designation escapes me at the moment) had rod magnets (think fender style), but were only produced a short while.Others can chime in here.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Comment

Not looking for origins, just anything different about them 1948-52 or so. No A5 until '55 is my understanding.

Comment

AlNiCo 5 was developed in the early 40s.
          Jack Briggs

sigpic
          www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

When did it first appear in pickups? Seems to me it wasn't til later.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
              When did it first appear in pickups? Seems to me it wasn't til later.
              could be. to the best of my knowledge, G didn't specify grades until the early 60s.

cheers,
              Jack Briggs

sigpic
              www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by jack briggs View Post
                could be. to the best of my knowledge, G didn't specify grades until the early 60s.

cheers,
                +1

Jim

Comment

I have a bunch of old soapbars here, from the days when 'everybody' was yanking them out and putting in random humbuckers.

They vary all over the place for magnetic power and physical quality, which jibes with something I read somewhere about Gibson's parts buying habits in the day. Supposedly Gibson didn't care much about magnets, not even bothering to order them by grade but only specifying they be a 'magnet'. I have a few here that are very rough cast, and not even ground for flatness so they make great 'sandpaper'.

I don't know when Alnico 5 was invented, but I do know during the Korean War that cobalt was considered a strategic material and not available for nonmilitary uses.

Ken
                  www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                    I cobalt was considered a strategic material and not available for nonmilitary uses
                    This.

That's why all early '50s Gibson p'ups, P-13s and P-90s used Alnico 3, the only permanent magnet grade containing no Cobalt, and used two bar magnets due to their low level of charge.

HTH,
                    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                    Milano, Italy

Comment

So A5 was alive and well in 1950 but had been drafted and wouldn't be honorably discharged til circa '55...

Comment

Working...
                      X