Bassman 10 OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bassman 10 OT

I've got a Bassman Ten with a bad output transformer. Of course, I can cobble lots of things in there, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a drop in replacement with the same footprint. I haven't spotted anything so far. The number on the part is 021848A. Here's a pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bassman 10 OT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	872968
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

I have a Bassman OT that sits the other way - long direction horizontal. 022871

I have an OT for a HR DeVille 018343

Either should work, neither would drop right in.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I believe the 022871 is for a 4 ohm load? Not sure about the 018343. Does it have multiple taps? I need an 8 ohm secondary. Can you confirm if either of yours is 8? I'm not having any luck finding a drop in, so I might be interested in one of yours if there is an 8 ohm tap on either. Thanks Enzo!

Comment

The 022871 is 4 ohm.
        Have you looked at classictone? They have several for bassman but with switchable impedance.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The 018343 has 2,4, & 8 taps.
          3&1/4 x 2 inch centers.

edit: another source lists 3&1/2 x 2 inch so not sure which is correct.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I did look at Classic Tone and was leaning that way, but I figure if I can help Enzo get rid of some inventory and make him a few bucks, why not? I didn't see anything on their site with the same footprint. Good to know on the 018343 (multiple taps) and thanks for the info. No matter what, I'm probably going to have to drill the chassis for a different part, so I don't care much about mounting.

Comment

Says 2/4/8 in the docs. Can't say dimensions until I unearth it in my storage unit.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I PM'd you.

Comment

I used this on a repair. Output transf. for Fender Bassman Ten - Output Transf. for Fender

Comment

Dude, my Bassman 10 has it's original Schumaker iron. The stampings are 021848-1 and 606-3-27. As you noted, it's spec'd for an 8R load. the Bassman 10 used four 32-ohm speakers in parallel.

Nobody is making a proper replacement OT for a Bassman 10 (other than Mercury). Everyone else seems to think that the Bassman 10 is a 50W amp, so everyone tries to shoehorn 50W iron into a 40W amp -- what a surprise, it doesn't fit. If you want something that's 8R you can probably get away with using a multi-tap universal OT that has 2/4/8 or 4/8/16 taps, but you'll have to shoehorn 50W iron to make it fit.

FWIW my Bassman 10 dates to 1974 and at that time Fender was using Bandmaster / Super chassis and PT iron for a lot of their 40W applications. My Bassman 10 has all of the holes drilled into it for all of the reverb / tremolo controls, as well as all of the mounting holes for the various sizes of OT that the different 40W amps used. that way they just used one chassis and populated it with whatever they needed. It's not set up for the larger 50W iron because it is after all, a 40W amp.

If you want something authentic that has the right footprint, I hate to say it, but Mercury might be your only option. Damn ... I can't believe I said that.
                    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Tube Amp Doctor makes an exact replacement. See the link above in my previous post.

Most other replacements have multiple outputs (2, 4, 8, 16 ohm). TAD transformer only has an 8 ohm tap just like the original. The TAD replacement transformer was such a exact match that I took the old bell housings off the old fried original transformer and installed them on the new transformer. I used the original mounting holes and did not have to drill new mounting holes. Nobody but you and me will know that the output transformer is not original.

The only downside is that you have to order the transformer from Germany.
                      Last edited by Axtman; 11-12-2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X