p90 backing plate experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p90 backing plate experience?

I notice an effect from different backing plates on 8K wind humbuckers, where I feel the fiberback is a little bit more "open", for better or worse.

I was thinking of checking out a fiberback on a p90 to get a little more upper end. While the humbucker has one magnet between two coils and a bit of space on the outboard of the coils where I imagine the the varying magnetic field could impinge on the backing plate and cause eddy currents, the p90 has two magnets directly above the plate and I wonder if they would short/swamp any varying mag field on the backing plate, making the effect of nonconducting backing plate moot (and not worth the trouble of trying).

Any thoughts?

Any experience?

Thanks.

Dan
    Last edited by dcoyle; 11-19-2017, 06:11 PM. Reason: typo

Have not tried it, I make my own nickel-silver baseplates for soapbars and don't feel a need to try something non-conductive, in part because to my ear they wound fine but also because P90's are noisy enough as it is!

But a forbon (or whatever fiber) baseplate would certainly be a just a bit brighter than nickle-silver, a lot brighter than a steel or brass baseplate. You might also need to find a way to ground the pole screws, mount screws and magnets to cut down some on the increased noise, but any solution I can think of (shielding) would just slightly darken the tone like a standard baseplate would.

Comment

Thank you Zhangligun, for your thoughts.

Yeah, I guess by definition, one would have to say p90's sound just fine with brass, as that's what Gibson used, but I find it interesting you bother to use nickle-silver. Do have a characterization of what you hear different from brass vrs Ni-Ag backed p90's?

When I want to ground free floating metal pickup parts, I fold aluminum foil to 8 layers by an 1/8" wide and try to jam it in place under the case . A bit of 30 ga wire wrap around the end of the folded foil, a gentle pliers squeeze and some soft shrink tube on the junction. Good enough for experimenting, anyway.

thanks

Comment

Brass would darken the tone more than nickel-silver. I even experimented with a steel baseplate but it darkened a bit too much on the particular wind I tried, though it might work with a low wind bridge with A5 mags.

Originally posted by dcoyle View Post
        Thank you Zhangligun, for your thoughts.

Yeah, I guess by definition, one would have to say p90's sound just fine with brass, as that's what Gibson used, but I find it interesting you bother to use nickle-silver. Do have a characterization of what you hear different from brass vrs Ni-Ag backed p90's?

When I want to ground free floating metal pickup parts, I fold aluminum foil to 8 layers by an 1/8" wide and try to jam it in place under the case . A bit of 30 ga wire wrap around the end of the folded foil, a gentle pliers squeeze and some soft shrink tube on the junction. Good enough for experimenting, anyway.

thanks

Comment

Working...
        X