Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redplating Fender Super Twin Reverb.

Hi,

New here, but have had success in the past with other forums!! I have a '78 Fender Super Twin Reverb (blackface) that has a power tube redplating. I know it's a beast, and some say to put it out on the curb. But it's loud if not heavy. The first tube from the power side is redplating. I pulled the chassis, and the 2 resistors on # 3 are burned to a crips. Everything I've read pertain to 4 power tube amps, this has 6. So I want to replace the resistors and see what happens, maybe still redplating. I quess my question is where can I find replacement resistors?. RadioShack? Thanks, Mark.

Antique Electronics Supply for all your amp needs https://www.tubesandmore.com/

Or Mouser when you need to go a little deeper https://www.mouser.com/

Consider replacing that tube.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Thanks Randall, is it weird that the tube with the bad resistors isn't redplating? I've 2 new tubes!

Comment

Just an FYI, don't let the cosmetics fool you: this thing is about as far from a BlackFace amp as you can get. It's not a Super "Twin Reverb." It's a "Super Twin" WITH Reverb. The first gain stage is different, the Tone Stacks are different, the output is different, etc. About the only thing it has in common with a Twin Reverb is the 2x12" speakers.

This thing is more akin to the 400PS, 300PS, & PA160.

Justin
        Last edited by tboy; 12-01-2017, 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Here are a few sites using Google Shopping:
          https://www.google.com/search?q=1500...w=1360&bih=689

https://www.google.com/search?q=470+...&bih=689&dpr=1

And the schematic: Fender-Super-Twin-Reverb-180W-Schematic.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Mljbone View Post
            Thanks Randall, is it weird that the tube with the bad resistors isn't redplating? I've 2 new tubes!
            If the 470 ohm screen resistor is open, then the tube will not conduct.
            Hence, no red plating.

Comment

I never thought of the first gain stage cap making all that much difference; whenever i work on any of those amps I end up diode biasing that stage and making them all sound the same.

I can't hang my hat on that treble cap in the tonestack making all that much difference either. Yeah, it's different, but not like it's night and day.

I always thought that the additional gain stage is what made the preamp different, in a way that isn't particularly that appealing. What else is different? Perhaps most significant to me is that the STR is a single channel amp that lacks tremolo, while the TR is a conventional Fender dual channel tremolo amp. That tremolo difference is HUGE!

The STR is an amp that appeals to an entirely different kind of player than a BFTR, IMO.
              "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Thanks for the input! I picked up 470 ohm and 1500 resistors to replace on that power tube socket. But they are 2 watt , I'm not sure if that makes a difference I think they need to be 1 Watt. Also is there a way to tighten up the power tube connections inside the socket, some of them look like they're open. I was told loose ones could cause my red plating problem. THANKS!

Comment

When you look down the tube socket insets, are they wrap-around or fork-style terminals? The wrap-around type are easy to re-tension, using a very tiny bladed screwdriver to somewhat close down the opening without preventing pin insertion in the process. The forked terminals require a much smaller but stiff tool that can enter in the narrow slot that keeps them captive and aligned for mating with the tube pin. They're a bit tricky to bend in a bit in the attempt to make a tighter fit again.

With regards to the wattage on the screen resistors, I normally use Metal Oxide power resistors. There are two sizes available for each wattage up to 5W. MO2 is the larger 2W body size, and MO2S is a smaller 2W body. A MO2S looks like a MO1 in size. The real difference is surface temperature under load. A MO2S will run hotter than a MO2
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Thanks nevetslab, they're wrap around.

Comment

With regards to your resistor wattage question, you can always go up in wattage with resistors. A 1 watt is built to withstand 1 watt of power, where a 2 watt will withstand 2 watts of power, so in your case, not a bad thing to go to 2 watts.
                      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Thanks Randall!

Comment

So I replaced the resistors on the 3rd power tube socket. Plugged the head in to check output on pin number 5 on all sockets. Started with the first 3 with -53.6v the others at -49.1v. Waited a minute or two and went back to check output. They climbed up to -59.1v and -53.4. Then the resistors on first socket zorched and the fuse burned out. This socket is the one with red plating issues. Any ideas?

Comment

You have an obvious arc, if there were no tubes. The resistor has no circuit, it goes to a socket pin and stops. Even with a tube in the socket, it goes to a grid, which is a wire hanging in space. To get that resistor to burn up, it has to have current from somewher, and most likely is pin 4 next to is, several hundred volts different. I'd replace that socket.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the information Enzo!

Comment

Working...
                              X