No announcement yet.

Scratching noise on volume button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The solvents in the spray are pretty damn fast, but it's good you ask. It will depend partly on how much stuff you hose in there I usually wait until the smell dissipates noticeably from the cleaned areas. This is a good hint that the most volatile compounds have evaporated. About a half an hour to an hour. It's probably safe almost immediately, but I always wait.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Just in case you don't know, rotate the pots through their travel several times right after you spray them.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Also, get a bunch of paper towels so you can bunch them up and wad them around areas that you don't want exposed to the cleaner. Remember that it will be coming out at some pressure and back wash or splatter can happen. Shiny plastic or wood finishes don't like the stuff. Move your guitar well away from the work area and, this being your first time using the stuff, wear some kind of eye protection. I always have readers on for magnification when I do this.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Also, get a bunch of paper towels so you can bunch them up and wad them around areas that you don't want exposed to the cleaner. Remember that it will be coming out at some pressure and back wash or splatter can happen. Shiny plastic or wood finishes don't like the stuff.
          Well, I messed this up. I first sprayed the Delay knobs and no splatter but then with the Preamp even with one short burst of spray I am now seeing a shiny residue on the board, tsk tsk. I will till tomorrow to power that on.

Comment

Well guys, using just one short burst of spray and waiting for 30 minutes, no more noise on the Output knob of the Delay unit and maybe mind over matter but the unit seems to sound much more cleaner and better now or maybe because I just put it up for sale?

Anyway, should I leave as is or give another burst of spray? I don't want to sell and the owner should have the same problem reappear and think I was being dishonest.

Comment

Originally posted by mikehende View Post
              Well guys, using just one short burst of spray and waiting for 30 minutes, no more noise on the Output knob of the Delay unit and maybe mind over matter but the unit seems to sound much more cleaner and better now or maybe because I just put it up for sale?

Anyway, should I leave as is or give another burst of spray? I don't want to sell and the owner should have the same problem reappear and think I was being dishonest.
              Don't spray the pots again. But I'd say take some time clean up any jacks and ribbon connectors while it's still open. Usually it's the jacks that show dirtiness first, but we know there was some crud in the pots, so make sure ALL the contacts are clean before closing up. JM2C

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                so make sure ALL the contacts are clean before closing up. JM2C
                Thx but sorry which "contacts" please? Also, I am not seeing the residue on the Preamp's board anymore, will still wait until tomorrow to power on and test on my rig.

Comment

Great news guys, problem on preamp solved. Both Bass and volume knobs have no issues now. Can't thank you guys enough for the knowledge and help, Happy Holidays!

Comment

Working...
                  X