Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yikes!
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Pete used to smoke a pipe and one of his favourite tricks was to blow smoke into the unit you were working on when your back was turned. You'd turn around and there would be clouds of smoke billowing out of the live chassis.

Comment

I grew up in my grandfather's garage. I once watched him wire up an old ignition coil to the springs under the driver seat of a car, and then told my father to move the car.
        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
          I grew up in my grandfather's garage. I once watched him wire up an old ignition coil to the springs under the driver seat of a car, and then told my father to move the car.
          When my Brother and i were young. My Dad called me over to help troubleshoot the lawnmower. He had me hold the spark plug wire while he pulled the cord. Well I must say it did have spark. After I calmed down he told me to get my brother and still had me hold the wire but with my other hand to hold his. He got the shock that time instead of me.

nosaj
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

electrical pathway from one hand to the other, across your chest. sigh.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
              electrical pathway from one hand to the other, across your chest. sigh.
              These days I now know it was a bad idea, I wonder if my Dad did? I'll never know.

If they don't die they must be good for something

nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

The thing is, the string of pearls shock trick USUALLY works. That's what a lot of old timers saw and learned. Practical information at the time
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  The thing is, the string of pearls shock trick USUALLY works. That's what a lot of old timers saw and learned. Practical information at the time
                  I grew up listening to my parents' records. They were big fans of Swing. When I hear someone say "string of pearls" I think of this:

Comment

Y'know, my mom hated my rock and roll, she thought music should be "pretty." She tried to criticize and would tell me my music was "so repetitive." She hated it when I asked her why her music wasn't repetitive when songs like String of Pearls or In the Mood came on.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You think I am an asshole now...
                      There was never any doubt in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        Y'know, my mom hated my rock and roll, she thought music should be "pretty." She tried to criticize and would tell me my music was "so repetitive." She hated it when I asked her why her music wasn't repetitive when songs like String of Pearls or In the Mood came on.
                        Reminds me of a fair convention we did last month. Our set came up and the fair board president came running at our sound man screaming that we were WAYYY too loud. The head of the sound company explained to him that we were at 95dB and the previous 2 country acts were at 98dB. I guess it's only too loud if it's music you don't like.
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                        X