Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to damage the input amp....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daz View Post
    if the forced update i did doesn't work it's gone. I would think it should be as good as a reset because a forced update reinstalls the complete firmware, not just the parts that are new as a normal update does. So if it IS a firmware issue i think thats as likely to fix it as a reset.
    No it's not as good as a reset or it would also wipe your data. If you took it to a shop I think they would save your data and do the reset right away.
    If that didn't cure it, then they would look at other options.
    Sooner or later you will need to backup and reset anyway, so if you're not willing to do that, get rid of it like you said.
    But, if you're going to sell it, why not do the factory reset anyway, you won't need your data anymore.
    And at least you can tell the buyer whether it has a problem or not.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      No it's not as good as a reset or it would also wipe your data. If you took it to a shop I think they would save your data and do the reset right away.
      If that didn't cure it, then they would look at other options.
      Sooner or later you will need to backup and reset anyway, so if you're not willing to do that, get rid of it like you said.
      But, if you're going to sell it, why not do the factory reset anyway, you won't need your data anymore.
      And at least you can tell the buyer whether it has a problem or not.
      True, but i want to see if it does it again before i bother because as i said above, theres more to that then just losing my presets due to what fender did 1/2 way thru the 5 or 6 updates. For all i know this may have done the trick. It don't think it has to wipe my data to refresh the firmware. But i will decide whether to do a reset before i sell it. I definately would if not for the trouble it'll cause me. Losing my data isn't a big deal, it's what i mentioned above.

Comment

Did it....restored it to the factory state. Then i had to use this patch utility as i said to be able to get back to where i could install the latest update. Once done i tried it and it started doing it again. I now have a $400 bookend. Thank you fender.

Comment

Did you buy it new? Is there still time in the warranty?
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Did you buy it new? Is there still time in the warranty?
            Yeah, but the aux jack broke long ago and i had it apart to fix it and then again when it had some other issues that i thought may be connectors and yet again to make a new panel to allow me to fit a EV. Also had to remove some ties that wer impossible to put back to where it looks untouched. So at this point the screws look like they've been removed several times and it's just obvious I've been in it. So they aren't going to honor a warranty.

By the way, i googled overloading the input on SS amps and did find several people saying they damaged thier SS amps that way. So apparently it IS possible somehow, maybe depending on the design. But with those micro components wav soldered and no schematic theres no way on earth i'd been able to fix it.

Comment

So they aren't going to honor a warranty.
              Says who? I was a warranty center for Fender, Marshall, Peavey, Crate, AMpeg, Yamaha, Hartke, and on and on. I never once looked to see if screws had been removed. And even if I had seen that, I had no way to know if it was some other authorized shop or not. And fuses blow, and it doesn't void your warranty to open it up and replace a fuse.

And trust me, no one knows the exact spot for every wire tie. If I see some hack work, then yes, I might bounce a repair. If you have chewed up the cab, then OK...

By the way, i googled overloading the input on SS amps and did find several people saying they damaged thier SS amps that way. So apparently it IS possible somehow, maybe depending on the design.
              Welcome to the internet. You realize if those other people google this issue, they will find your story as evidence.

If we believe what we read on the internet, then just about every problem with an amplifier is a bad transformer.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Says who? I was a warranty center for Fender, Marshall, Peavey, Crate, AMpeg, Yamaha, Hartke, and on and on. I never once looked to see if screws had been removed. And even if I had seen that, I had no way to know if it was some other authorized shop or not. And fuses blow, and it doesn't void your warranty to open it up and replace a fuse.

And trust me, no one knows the exact spot for every wire tie. If I see some hack work, then yes, I might bounce a repair. If you have chewed up the cab, then OK...

Welcome to the internet. You realize if those other people google this issue, they will find your story as evidence.

If we believe what we read on the internet, then just about every problem with an amplifier is a bad transformer.
                Ok, well maybe i'll try that, but first i need to play it some more because since i posted i have tried twice to get it to do the bad thang and i could not make it happen. But it DID do it the first time i tried after the reset. Makes me wonder if it's something else like a speaker or something. I'll have to go over everything i can via POE.

Comment

By the way, i googled overloading the input on SS amps and did find several people saying they damaged thier SS amps that way. So apparently it IS possible somehow, maybe depending on the design.
                  Well sure it's possible to damage ANY amp with the wrong input signal. But it would need to be a lot more wrong than what any effects pedal can do. And your amp isn't just an amp. It's an amp and a digital signal processor. I believe your problem is with the processor and NOT the amp.

But with those micro components wav soldered and no schematic theres no way on earth i'd been able to fix it.
                  I've never worked on a modern, digital amp or even any smd products, but I can tell you that what I read about repairs amounts to replacement of modules and not repairs done on the board. So there's that. And with that no one repairing such amps should give a tick about anything but the diagnosis and the required replacement module. So if there's warranty left on the amp you can at least try to use it. The worst anyone can say is no. And even then you should ask for a justification.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                  X