9 pin socket base with metal centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 pin socket base with metal centre

I've just noticed that the 9 pin base I've received has a metal centre with a tab on it and as I'm going to be using a 12ax7 tube that has no pin in the centre should I leave the centre tab unconnected or does it need to be connected to something or do i need to order a socket without the shield ??

Ignore it, or use it as a tie point for components.

The center terminal used to be a lot more common than it is today. I might guess because in RF circuits like TV sets and radios, keeping component leads short mattered more than in guitar amps.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks enzo

Comment

Connect it to 0V and use it as the local star ground point. Thats what I do with these type of sockets.
        Cheers,
        Ian

Comment

Good idea thanks
          Scott

Comment

On EL84 amps I fit the grid stopper between the centre pin and grid pin as the 'unused' pins on an EL84 are all internal connections.

Comment

They can make it awkward to wire heaters in accordance with Merlin’s guidance. Cutting the terminal off leaves sharp edges that might damage the insulation of wire passing over it (probably not a big deal).
              With ceramic sockets the post is part of a crimped fastener that holds the socket assembly together, so it can’t be removed, in the way that the centre posts of plastic sockets can. Don’t ask me how I discovered this.
              Last edited by pdf64; 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM.
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
              X