Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to check a relay on a Fender Amp

Hi guys.

I have a Fender Prosonic amp with a noise issue on the clean channel, according to the analysis made, the problem is located on the first relay. Is there a way of checking this kind of components with a mutlimeter?

Any help would be appreciated.

All the best.
    CE

Relays seldom made a noise in and of themselves so it would not be the first place I'd be looking. What kind of noise? What analysis exactly? If a pop it might be DC where it shouldn't be. If a hiss you may have a bad component.

The relay can best be tested out of circuit using a power supply to operate the coil and using the continuity range on the meter to check the contacts. This will tell you if the contacts are working and low resistance.

PS: I just found your other thread. This only happens on the clean channel. I'd suspect C3 i.e. the cap that feeds the clean volume pot.
    Last edited by nickb; 01-27-2018, 03:49 PM.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      This only happens on the clean channel. I'd suspect C3 i.e. the cap that feeds the clean volume pot.
      C3 and the clean volume pot would be the only component exclusive to the clean "channel". So there's that. But it's indicated that the problem manifests at the same volume regardless of volume pot setting. So that would put it ahead of the volume pot, wouldn't it?
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        But it's indicated that the problem manifests at the same volume regardless of volume pot setting. So that would put it ahead of the volume pot, wouldn't it?
        That's new info to me. I guess it's in the other thread? A pity they got split if there was important info in there. If true then I would tend to agree. At a bit of a stretch it could be a bad ground on the pot, I suppose. The only way I can think of to reliably test a relay for noise would be the replace it.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

You can hardwire across the appropriate pins to bypass the relay. If the problem disappears, you know the noise was from the relay. If you still hear it, the problem is elsewhere.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
          X