Kurzweil PC2 has one bad note ... not key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurzweil PC2 has one bad note ... not key

I have an odd issue with my Kurzweil PC2 - the F#2 just stopping putting out MIDI signal. The strange thing is that it does not seem to be the mechanical key. If I use the octave key the F#2 that at first seemed bad now perfectly plays the F#1 ... HOWEVER ... the F#3 key now no longer outputs any MIDI signal. SO it seem like it's not the key mechanisms but something else. I am not a tech so I am not even sure how to begin trouble shooting. DOes this sound like something someone has come across before? Thanks very much.

Does it work locally? That is, does the proper note play if you use the thing as a stand alone synth? We need to determine if the problem is MIDI ony, or if the key is messed up for all its uses.

Put it on a patch like piano, something where velocity is easily heard. Now start at one end and strike each key twice. Once softly and once hard. Does the thing react properly by playing the proper note both softly and loud, as well as does it continue to sound if you hold down the key? Each key has dual contacts, and if one is stuck (either off or on) it can mess with operation.

When you strike a note, the unit sends a NOTE ON message out the MIDI. When you release the key, a NOTE OFF message goes out. If a contact sticks, the unir will power up while you cannot hear that note, and once going, that note won;t play again until it sees a NOTE OFF. If that note off never arrives, the key goes dead.

If it is ONLY MIDI that is confused, it COULD be a partitioning problem. I may be recalling the wrong word for it, but most modern era keyboards allow you to assign certain sections of the keyboard to one MIDI channel and other parts to another. It is possible that one note somehow got assigned to a different MIDI channel than you usually use, and it is playing, but top a channel nothing is reading.

Seems to me your sound modules receiving MIDI are set to a particular MIDI channel, but I think, isn't there also an OMNI or something like that where the sound module will react to ANY channel sent? If so, try setting a sound module to that and see if it now sees that key. Or just strike that key repeatedly as you set a sound module for each MIDI channel going down the numbers.

I used to do tons of keyboards, but I haven't dug into MIDI problem in 20 years, so maybe someone can be more helpful.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If, after doing what Enzo said you determine it is a MIDI problem try a factory reset:

1. Press GLOBAL
      2. Press >>> until you see "Reset PC2?" or "Reset PC1" (2nd to last item in menu)
      3. Press [Yes] twice
      Last edited by nickb; 02-05-2018, 06:55 PM.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        Does it work locally? That is, does the proper note play if you use the thing as a stand alone synth? We need to determine if the problem is MIDI ony, or if the key is messed up for all its uses.
        I've done as much trouble shooting as I can. Like I said before, it does not seem to follow the mechanical key. When played as a stand alone, all is well. As soon as I set Local Playing off the missed note begins. And Like I said, if I change octaves, the mechanical key is fine, it's just the F#. I swapped out MIDI cables so I know it is not those. It follow whether I play an external synth, an internal software synth, or the Kurzweil itself. I have done a hard reset at least 4 times - nothing changes. Ccan a MIDI note go bad in the Kurzweil? Not the key but the actual note?

Comment

What is the proper term for what I called partitioning the keyboard? Layering maybe?

SO the key does proper velocity on local only?

It wouldn;t have been MIDI cables, because that would affect all notes.

"Change octave" means? Transposing?
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There is a button on the keyboard which immediately transposes the pitch down one whole octave. The key itself is just fine because it can plays other pitches. It is only this one MIDI note which will not be output. The local keyboard plays the F#2 just fine, though again, it will not output that MIDI note. So the internal sounds are fine, the external soft synths are fine, it is this one loan MIDI F#2 that just stopped sending.
            Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            What is the proper term for what I called partitioning the keyboard? Layering maybe?

SO the key does proper velocity on local only?

It wouldn;t have been MIDI cables, because that would affect all notes.

"Change octave" means? Transposing?

Comment

Working...
            X