1962 Ampeg Reverberocket screws and foot switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Ampeg Reverberocket screws and foot switch

What are the correct screws for the back panel of this amp? The one I have has had nasty, oversized, zinc-plated twin-thread chipboard screws fitted and I want to get it back to original.

Also, what are the dimensions and construction of the foot switch? It would be good if anyone has pictures.

Mick,
    Ampeg used clutch head screws. These days the term clutch head gets used for various types of screws so I've attached a photo of the exact type that Ampeg used.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Heas Screw.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	848610

The closest photos I can find of a real vintage Ampeg are the following of a 1964 Rocket. I included closeups of the screws and the foot switch. The foot switch is hard wired to the chassis.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Ampeg R-12A Rocket_1.JPG
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	848611Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Ampeg R-12A Rocket_2.JPG
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	848612Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Ampeg Footswitch.JPG
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	848613

Hope these help.
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Phillips; 02-12-2018, 09:23 PM. Reason: Typo Repair

Comment

And if you look at it, you see they made the foot switch from a door stop.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, I learned something there. I don't get to see many old Ampegs and the ones I have all had replacement screws. Either someone harvested them for resale, or switched them out for convenience. I don't think there's much prospect of finding them over here at reasonable cost and may end up using the Phillip's head variety from Fliptops. Even those will probably cost a packet with shipping and import costs. The UK has a punitive policy on items imported from non-EU countries. The threshold is £15 including shipping. A penny over and that price becomes £24.60. If there's import duty payable then this escalates even more. It makes sourcing bits in the US really expensive. Especially so when some suppliers have ridiculous shipping rates to the UK (I was quoted $30 shipping for a single wah inductor from one place as they had set the packaged weight as 2lb) or have flat rates based on minimum weight/volume that penalize small-order items.

Comment

I'm not sure my 63 Reverberocket came with the footswitch (had been cut off), but my 66 & 67 Reverberocket IIs both came with 2-button hardwired switches. As for the screws, many owners switched them out for Phillips head; I did. Ie kept some, but I managed to find some "normal" screws of the same length, thread count and pitch, and head size at my hardware store.

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Over the years, I like many others replaced the clutch head screws in those cabinets with phillips, but I keep the old screws. Now that I retire, I have a bin of them. They do sell for stupid money, and I have a buyer for mine.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's been years since I've worked on the old Ampegs having htge clutch head screws. What I haven't seen reported in this thread is WHAT the screw size is. # 8-32? # 6-32? # 10-32? Metric thread?
              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

They are wood/sheet-metal screws, so they have a size number, but not a thread count. They would be imperial, not metric, as we did nothing in metric in those days.

I have a box of them in front of me, but no ruler, so eyeballing them, I;d say #8.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                  It's been years since I've worked on the old Ampegs having htge clutch head screws. What I haven't seen reported in this thread is WHAT the screw size is. # 8-32? # 6-32? # 10-32? Metric thread?
                  Holding the back cover on. Round head wood screws maybe #6 or 8.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Often called 8-15 thread, if memory serves. Thanks. I'ts been over 40 yrs since I've seen one.
                    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I have a 1960 Rocket. The back panel is held on with drywall screws, lol. Works. It's a very ratty, ugly old amp made in NYC. When I use it I just use it as a speaker cab (it has an Emenence in it with the original speaker blown and setting in a box in the garage) and I run an Epi VJ into it (set behind it) and a Bad Monkey and a compressor into that. You would not believe the complements I get on my "vintage" tone and all the questions I get. Lol!

Comment

I think a lot of those screws got replaced because people didn't have a tool for them. In Canada, Robertson (square head) screws are very common, so everyone has at least red and green size Robertson screwdrivers. I believe the green size fits in those and does the job if the head is in good shape. I have the proper clutch head driver but often use the green Robertson as it is usually out with my more common tools.
                        These screws were more common in classic auto stuff so you can sometimes find them from those type of vendors. However, they don't seem to have the flange like the ampegs do, which is probably why fliptops is selling them for ten bucks each.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well for that kind of money I'll go dig them out of my junk drawer & sell them at a discount! And mine are VINTAGE!

Justin
                          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I did have the tools and I replaced them anyway. I had hand drivers for my clutch heads, and a phillips driver in my power drill. And even later when I got Xcelite 99 clutch head blades for my 99 holder for my drill, I still would rather just reach for the phillips drill motor and zip open the cab. WHy have odd hardware?

Comment

Interestingly, in the book 'Ampeg - the story behind the sound' it states that the move to clutch head screw was made when they changes to the blue check covering.

I've ordered some 4mmx30mm truss-head phillips self-tapping screws in stainless (these have a head diameter of 8.9mm), along with some form G washers that have a diameter of 12mm. I think when these are all polished they'll look like nickel and be visually OK. I gave up on the clutch head screws.

Comment

Working...
                              X