Another oscilloscope question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another oscilloscope question

Just found an Iwatsu SS-5706 30 Mhz scope with HP probe for sale.
    He states in the listing that Everything works as it should. It's pretty light for it's size and has low hours.
    Wondering if it would be good enough for amp testing.
    He is asking $50.00 for it.
    Still have to see if he still has it, it's a bit of a ride to go get it.

Here as two pictures of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iwatsu-SS-5706.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	873310 Click image for larger version

Name:	Iwatsu-2.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	873311
    It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Sounds reasonable. Just about any scope that makes a picture is good enough for guitar amps. Bandwidth is just not an issue.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo. The scope usage is new to me so not sure what's needed.

If I could get my hands on a cheap or free single primary, single HV secondary trans that would work on the Eico Id'e try it just for the heck of it.
      It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Comment

If you go looking at it, test it with a 9v battery just to see that it works in DC mode and that it's calibrated (may take some dial twiddling to ensure you're reading the scale ranges correctly), then probe a house outlet to see a 60Hz sin wave. If it works for both AC and DC, then it works. IMHO, $50 is next to free if you're getting a set of probes along with it.

edit: even if you don't get probes, it is still a good deal.
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Thanks.
          It's all new to me, not sure how to use one properly just yet so I'll see if they are willing to show it works not just powers up or grantee it works.
          He claims it works but you never know.

Also looking at a Tektronix 2465A DV 350 MHz 4 channel with 2 probes for $140.00.
          Claims it works.

This one.

Name:	Tek.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	848647

Comment

That Tek is a nice scope. Parts, if needed are a lot easier to find. It may have a steeper learning curve but it has the auto setup button which is nice. You won't outgrow it as soon as that Japanese scope.

Comment

^^^^^^Agreed. The numerical readout is handy, too.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

OH well, the Tektronix is gone still waiting to hear about the Awatsu.

Comment

Originally posted by J Luth View Post
                  Thanks.
                  It's all new to me, not sure how to use one properly just yet so I'll see if they are willing to show it works not just powers up or grantee it works.
                  He claims it works but you never know.

Also looking at a Tektronix 2465A DV 350 MHz 4 channel with 2 probes for $140.00.
                  Claims it works.

This one.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]47106[/ATTACH]
                  I really like the waveform resolution you get using analog scopes and I LOVE the Tek 2465* scopes and am hoping to grab one when I can. They don't last long at that price if they're working.
                  ... I see you're on the east coast. Don't Bogart all the craigslist 2465s on me.
                  If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

SoulFetish

Not only are we on the same coast, although it actually showed east cost, DOH, we're in the same state. And if I remember correctly I'm not all that far from where you work, about a 1/2 hour to 45 min drive for me.

Comment

Are the Tektronix 434 scopes really as bad as I have read.
                      Found this one for $110.00 if it's still available.

Name:	434-1.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	848666

Name:	434-2.jpg
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	848667

Name:	434-3.jpg
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	848668
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm still on the hunt for a scope.

Found this oldie Tektronix T935A real low price.

Name:	Old-Tek.jpg
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	848681

The T935A is from a Ham guy that repairs ham radios and tube radios. Says if I come up he will demo that everything works it's a bit of a ride for me. Figure it might be a good entry level scope and the price is real low. The 434 is a lot closer and more money but I don't know if they will let me come and see it working.

Comment

Ask them. I would be suspicious of any sale they won't let me see it working.

Otherwise, any working scope will be sufficient.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo

I read an article about the 434 that stated it was not a good model, hard to repair, no parts available and not constructed very well. I am leaning towards the older T935A. It's cheaper so it wont hurt as much if it dies or I screw it up. He will show that everything works as it should plus he may have a lot of other parts I am looking for along with possible a transformer for the Eico 460 or maybe just a HV one I can put in along with the stock one.

Comment

Not only a good deal but sounds like a good guy to know.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X