Last silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last silly question

Just want to make sure I've got this the right way round ?Click image for larger version

Name:	20180217_144540.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	873329

Probably the most embarrassing question I've asked!!

Scott,
    The wiring hookup you depict will work fine
    Some other relevant information to keep in mind is:
    * The switch you are using is a single Pole Single Throw unit. (SPST)
    * It is is not polarized so it will also work if you reverse the hookup of the brown and black wires. The "ON/OFF" label is just provided for convenience and optional use.
    * One thing to plan for is the physical orientation of the switch when you mount it on your panel. That is, decide if you want the switch to be ON when the toggle handle is flipped up or down or even to one side. This depends on the function you are controlling with the switch. For a power switch most people would choose it to be ON when the toggle is up of course.
    Cheers,
    Tom

Comment

I think that's what confused me? The switch seems to have slightly less resistance moving from on to off so I thought it would be better that way round

Comment

Although now i look at it again it's the same both ways so it must have been the way I was holding it !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvini View Post
          I think that's what confused me? The switch seems to have slightly less resistance moving from on to off so I thought it would be better that way round
          That describes a faulty switch.
          You should measure essentially zero resistance in one position and essentially infinite resistance in the other position of the switch handle.
          For any given position of the handle the resistance reading between the terminals should not change when you reverse the meter lead connections to the switch terminals

Comment

Sorry ignore the resistance part I meant physical resistance not electrical and after looking again it's the same

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
              ... For a power switch most people would choose it to be ON when the toggle is up of course. ...
              That's the convention in the USA, but in UK the convention is the other way - down for on. Doesn't really mater - we are used to Fender amps etc. - just thought I'd mention it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1959hw_front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	848705
              Last edited by Malcolm Irving; 02-17-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Irving View Post
                That's the convention in the USA, but in UK the convention is the other way - down for on. Doesn't really mater - we are used to Fender amps etc. - just thought I'd mention it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47185[/ATTACH]
                Maybe that's why the standby switches always get me . It's different based on where the amps is from.

nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Yep. After I posted I thought that might come up. Especially for a chassis that is used both in combo and head amps with just a front panel change. Same reason that some amps have the guitar inputs on the left vs. the right side.

Standby discussions can get complicated.
                  "I was on/in standby"
                  "I turned the standby off"
                  etc.

Comment

Maybe instead of labels like "Play" & "Standby" and "On" & "Off" we should use
                    "Boring" & "Awesome!" and "Happy Neighbors" & "Cops Are Here!"

Justin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I'm from the uk and prefer up as on and down as off

Comment

I can't remember what newer amp it was but the standby switch was labeled "Standby" & "Standback"

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Irving View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47185[/ATTACH]
                          I'm thinking that Marshall just copied that aspect of the Bassman (ie 'on' is with the switch flipped towards the bottom of the chassis) along with everything else, but then orientated the chassis in a head cab 'open side down', whereas Fender moved from 'open side vertical' with the tweed era to 'open side up' of the browns, BF etc.
                          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I might post some pretty dumb questions but at least I give you all something to debate

Comment

I don't know about "copy", but I have never seen an amp where the power switch flips one way and the standby switch flips the other to operate. Whether it is facing up or down, it is always both in the ON position to play.

In the USA, we generally think UP for on. The wall switch for my ceiling light goes up for on.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X