What pedal is best for swirly, trippy sort of sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pedal is best for swirly, trippy sort of sounds

What pedal is best for swirly, trippy sort of sounds, kinda like the lovely eggs recent record (the songs Big Sea and Let Me Observer inparticulary)

Am thinking Phaser ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Some years ago I was tasked to revive an old Roland AP-7 Jet Phaser. Wow, what a great sound! Can't say I'm familiar with the acts you mention, but once I heard the AP-7 my brain instantly said "Isley Brothers". Time was, you couldn't give these away. Now they sell for gold dust money. Funny the owner of the Jet Phaser said he found it under his sofa, totally forgot he ever had it, must have lost it there while partying too much in his early years. That's one to never lose again.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Some of the Lovely Eggs stuff sounds to me like a triggered phaser. Some flangers have this feature as well. Depends on the particular effect, but flangers and phasers can be pretty close depending on settings and it's worth listening to clips of both.

Comment

I went to some trouble to listen to those tracks (and some trouble actually listening to those tracks ) and I didn't hear the swirly, trippy sound on the guitars. I heard it on the keyboards though. Some synth patches from ??? manufacturer as manipulated on board by the player. I don't think a pedal is what you're looking for.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I'll put in a plug for the Line 6 Liqui-Flange (which Behringer makes a clone of). Often overlooked, this is a decent flanger with a lot of different sounds built into it, including through-sero flanging. It also has a wide variety of modulation options, including envelope-controlled flanging, triggered flange sweeps (both of these available in each direction, random sweep, and a "stepped" flange that sounds like sample-and-hold.

Comment

A cheap (but excellent) pedal also from Behringer is the phaser version - the SP400. Now discontinued but still come up for sale.

Comment

I'm with Chuck. I had to go to youtube to find out what the OP was referring to, and when I found it...

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but when somebody asks about a stompbox to obtain swirly, trippy sounds, I immediately think "UniVibe"...

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

"Swirly" spans the range from what some might call "animated" (as in the Trower and prototypic Uni-Vibe/overdrive combination) to what some might call "psychedelic", as in things like stereo phaser/flanger sweeps or even the EHX Blurst modulated filter. There is also a zone between flanger and chorus-range delays, that achieves something close to slow Leslie tone. Rotating-speaker emulators can also be described as "swirly", when set to slow speeds. Although I have to add that most rotating-speaker simulators often fail to impress, when listened to in mono. They tend to demand a stereo spread to have aural impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                  There is also a zone between flanger and chorus-range delays, that achieves something close to slow Leslie tone. Rotating-speaker emulators can also be described as "swirly", when set to slow speeds. Although I have to add that most rotating-speaker simulators often fail to impress, when listened to in mono. They tend to demand a stereo spread to have aural impact.
                  Thanks for mentioning Leslie - yes the simulators all fall short. Though it's a thousand times bigger than a pedal, there's nothing like a real Leslie (147, 145, 122) for guitar. LUV that sound!
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

There's a reason that I've never been able to get that "Wish You Were Here" / "Have a Cigar" guitar or bass tone out of a stompbox, no matter how many I've tried.

On that record *everyone* used Leslies.

Last edited by bob p; 02-24-2018, 03:27 PM.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

At the risk of digressing too far, and as the proud owner of a cheese-wheel vibra-tone, taken from a home console organ and adapted into its own cabinet, I will concur that true rotating speakers sound wonderful. Part of that is because they are a sort of physical post-production effect, superimposed onto whatever everything else in the signal chain leading up to the speaker has done; something which has a different impact on the cumulative signal than a pedal inserted much earlier in the chain.

All of that said, I will still insist that decent Leslie emulators (and I have a few) become MUCH more inspiring when run in true stereo, such that the signal not only has all of the relevant doppler stuff and filtering applied, but physically moves around the listening space, from speakers to speakers.

Comment

That video trips me out... That's "Echoes" footage from "Live at Pompeii," 1972, not "Have A Cigar."

I guess more to the point, Dave had a Dual Showman Reverb and a Leslie in the Big Room at Abbey Road for SOYCD. I had a 1968 DSR; the sound is in there. No Leslie, though.

Justin
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I was looking for the Abbey Road video of Gilmour's DSR + Leslie being used for the taping of "Us and Them" or maybe it was "Diamond." I couldn't remember which one it was, and couldn't find either one, so I went with the "Cigar" segment from Pompeii. It showed everyone having a Leslie.

I wasn't able to find what I was looking for because a lot of the Floyd stuff on Youtube has a short half-life, like the Hendrix videos.

They must have had a generator truck parked nearby, I don' think there's power in the coliseum.

Last edited by bob p; 02-24-2018, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Comment

Hey Bob,

I never saw a video of Abbey Road with the DSR; just a photo in a book - either the one coauthored by Nick Mason or The Black Strat. But, Floyd's always been big on "everyone playing through everything;" I remember Roger and Dave and Rick all playing through Binson Echorecs, too... I mean, why not? If you've got the money and the storage space, AND you actually USE the gear, I don't have a problem with them having it. I took a lot of what I do and my approach to "problem solving" from Floyd... And it always seemed to me that even if a "shortcut" or a more convenient way of doing something came along that was ALMOST as good, they stuck with the real. Whether one appreciates the complexity of those solutions in the face of convenience is an argument for another day, but I just remember your knob that was a spectrum between Convenience and Tone, with it always on full CW to Tone.

Justin
                              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                              X