Sholud I get more diagnostic tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtlbasslad View Post
    ...Would a 500VA (.5KVA) Variac be big enough for my needs here? ...
    If you are talking about up to medium power amps, i.e. up to around 150 W output power then a 500VA Variac will be OK. If you plan to work on high power amps such as SVTs, big SS Bass rigs or sound reinforcement power amps then you will need a variable AC transformer of a larger rating.
    Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom, last amp I worked on (Marshall 6100) is only 100W - the one on my bench now (Silvertone 1432) way less.

Hope my neighbor with the Mesa Carbine-or-something never has problems with that amp - tick,tick,tick LOL

I thought VA rating was straightforward, seems not so - AC or DC etc. The Variac I'm looking at has the usual conflicting specs - 5 amp or 3.7 amp... it's on fleabay 'Canadian shipping' the usual China stuff but shipped from Canada (they say). Lots of nice stuff out there but most vendors treat Canada like a 3rd world country - $10 thing = $50 shipping, ARRGH

Guess I'll go for this one - thanks again for your input

Lorne
      I'm not old - I'm vintage

Comment

An additional thing to consider is that the most useful bench variacs are the ones that have built-in voltage and current meters. Since variacs certainly aren't rare there will be lots of opportunities to buy them and you may want to consider holding out for one with meters. It's nice to get a good deal but it's even better to have the more complete capability for your bench setup which you will use over and over again.

Comment

Signal generator arrived & seems to work OK - just having trouble understanding the 'Chinglish' manual...

Scope should be here soon, birthday present from best wife ever. Then I just have to learn how to use it - I suppose the manual will be in 'Chinglish' too...
          I'm not old - I'm vintage

Comment

Working...
          X