Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get ready for component price hikes - screws, pole shoes, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get ready for component price hikes - screws, pole shoes, etc.

Already been informed that because of new tariffs on steel, there will be a price hike on polepiece screws, slugs, and keeper bars from my suppliers. Since they will pay more, we will pay more.

Wonder how the 10% aluminum tariff will affect the cost of Alnico.

Wolf this might make a difference for skyscrapers and bridges but it won't have any effect on our small parts because the actual cost of the steel in a slug is minuscule compared to the value added and a 25% hike will only amount to a tiny fraction of a penny. There is so much volatility in the price of steel anyway that you simply won't notice it at the retail end. See this graph: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/WPU101707
    Now if this starts a trade war then we could see some serious impacts on our standard of living.
    If your suppliers are warning you of price hikes it's because they think this is a perfect excuse to raise prices across the board but their costs of production increases will still be negligible. I.E. shame on them.

Comment

Just suppliers using any excuse they can to justify price increases.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        Wolf this might make a difference for skyscrapers and bridges but it won't have any effect on our small parts because the actual cost of the steel in a slug is minuscule compared to the value added and a 25% hike will only amount to a tiny fraction of a penny. There is so much volatility in the price of steel anyway that you simply won't notice it at the retail end. See this graph: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/WPU101707
        Now if this starts a trade war then we could see some serious impacts on our standard of living.
        If your suppliers are warning you of price hikes it's because they think this is a perfect excuse to raise prices across the board but their costs of production increases will still be negligible. I.E. shame on them.
        When you buy 10 or 20,000 at a time, it'll add up quickly. I've now spoken to four different suppliers of parts. When their costs rise, ours will too. Hopefully, not as much as what I expect.

Comment

Working...
        X