Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winding a humbucker with 40awg wire. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    I have a nice big roll of #41, and wound a SC with it like yourself. Sounded fine to me. I wouldn't personally go to #40 unless I was intending to produce a low-impedance pickup and had no intentions of making something in a conventional footprint or form factor.
    Is this is regard to my post about the higher capacitance with 41AWG? The difference was about 70pF to 80pF in my case, not that much, but it can add up.

Comment

Originally posted by jack briggs View Post
      Huh??
      I'm not sure what you're unsure of about my post. Take a solid body Gretsch with Filter'trons and a Strat with average 6k single coils, make sure there pickups are set to the same heights relative to the string, plug both in and play them, and you should find that the Gretsch with Filter'trons gives you a somewhat higher output.

Using TV Classics as an example, their bridge pickup has a DC resistance of 4.8k and an inductance of 1.8H, and the top of the filister screws, a Gauss reading of about 350. A typical Strat pickup by contrast, 6k resistance, 2.4H inductance, and flux density of 600 to 1100G at the tops of the AlNiCo pole pieces.
      Last edited by Antigua; 03-03-2018, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
        Antigua, thread lightly here. Nothing what you've just said is ***FACT***. Just your ***OPINION***.
        There's some facts in there.

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
        And a completely wild guess in this specific case, I may add, as you, by own admission, never even encountered a "El Rayo" p'up,
        There are things that are known, such as the DC resistance the overall pickup layout and dimensions, and a description of the sound it results in compared to other pickups offered by the pickup maker. From that some things can be inferred, but there is guess work involved, and I'm not pretending there isn't.

Comment

You can take your bobbin internal dimensions and run it through the coil estimator.
          You will need Internal bobbin core length, width, height, and flange width diameter.
          Using 50mm paf dimensions of 2.25L, .256w, 25h, .69 flange.
          Aprox. 1800 ohms, and 3500 turns of 40S wire, .0035" diameter wire, per bobbin.
          Up the bobbin height to .35"Height? (all other specs the same)
          Aprox. 2500 ohms, and 5000 turns of 40S wire, .0035" diameter wire, per bobbin.
          Those figures are at 90% TPL, near machine wind specs.
          Keep in mind that normally as bobbin height goes up, the pickup becomes brighter sounding.
          If you are building a guitar you can offset that by moving the bridge pickup further from the bridge.
          IMO if the large wire, tall bobbin pickup is close to the bridge, like in a LP guitar, it will be at its brightest!
          You can also try different magnets, like A2, & A3.
          It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
          Please keep us posted!
          GL,
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 03-03-2018, 05:01 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I don’t have a coil estamator. I am using 50 mm string spacing. Basically I’m using the A/8 in the bridge and A/5 in the neck because that’s the specs they advertised. Thanks big tee for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Tikiman View Post
              He basically wants an el Rayo clone.
              I tell customers if they want a clone of something, then they want the original.

Maybe you'll end up with something that's good in its own right that the customer likes. I recently rewound wound a s/c bass pickup with 40AWG as an experiment and it came out at 3.8K. I was about to strip it off as I thought it would be disastrous, but the guy wanted to try it and used it on his next gig. He really liked it - he said it had a 60s Danelecro sound. When I asked about low output he said he'd never noticed anything and used the same settings he always uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                I recently rewound wound a s/c bass pickup with 40AWG as an experiment and it came out at 3.8K. I was about to strip it off as I thought it would be disastrous, but the guy wanted to try it and used it on his next gig. He really liked it - he said it had a 60s Danelecro sound. When I asked about low output he said he'd never noticed anything and used the same settings he always uses.
                Was it the same number of turns of 40AWG as you would have used of 42?

Comment

I did tell the builder it will be in the spirit of the elrayo but by no means will it be one. My opinion is quality parts good workmanship and attention to detail will produce a fine pickup 😬

Comment

Coil Estimator
                    IME large wire works for bass pickups?
                    Bass players usually like bright pickups.
                    Big wire, and tall bobbins = bright pickups.
                    Usually the opposite is desired for a guitar bridge pickup.
                    But, as with everything, YMMV!
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CA925B92-83B9-4C15-ACA1-9FA355354040.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	751.6 KB
ID:	848841
                      If nothing else they will be beautiful I think lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Antigua View Post
                        Was it the same number of turns of 40AWG as you would have used of 42?
                        The original pickup was wound with 46 and the owner said it sounded like mud and wanted something completely different. There was plenty of room (I thought) and should have calculated it. My first thought was to use 42, but I had a spool of 40 right by me that I'd been using to rewind some reverb transducers and decided last-minute to see how that would turn out. In the end I had to fill the bobbin to get anything like a workable DCR. This is a lesson in doing the calculations before getting stuck in. As it turns out it worked really well, but it's not the right way. I would still have got a low DCR with 42 and would have ended up with more tuns than with 40, probably filling the bobbin just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                          The original pickup was wound with 46 and the owner said it sounded like mud and wanted something completely different. There was plenty of room (I thought) and should have calculated it. My first thought was to use 42, but I had a spool of 40 right by me that I'd been using to rewind some reverb transducers and decided last-minute to see how that would turn out. In the end I had to fill the bobbin to get anything like a workable DCR. This is a lesson in doing the calculations before getting stuck in. As it turns out it worked really well, but it's not the right way. I would still have got a low DCR with 42 and would have ended up with more tuns than with 40, probably filling the bobbin just the same.
                          46AWG, that would be crazy thin. I was just going to say that that output should track with the number of turns, so if you managed to get roughly the same number on there, that would explain it being plenty loud. The DC resistance itself doesn't factor into the output level very much.

Comment

More with reference to the challenge of fitting a traditional number of turns on a standard-sized coilform that fits inside a standard-sized pickup cover. The wire circumference is not THAT different between #40 and #42. BUt after a few thousand turns, even tiny differences add up.

Comment

Hello.

awg40 is used to wind lowZ bass pickups; here in italy a couple of winders builds Lowz Pickups with that gauge.
                              300-400 ohm range and a buffer/preamp to increase output

Diego

Comment

IClick image for larger version

Name:	6E7A7AE6-C370-4C1A-847E-395A2C011684.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	652.9 KB
ID:	848906 They fit pretty good I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X