Frankenstein 18 watt combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankenstein 18 watt combo

So I picked up a Crate GFX 212 off of Craig's List for $50. It works fine for what it is, but who needs 100 watts of ass... Anyway it has 2 good 12 inch "made in USA" speakers in it. Wonder what they really are? I'm going to mount this VHT 18 watt amp in it that I put together for $75. If I like it I will re-Rolex the cab. I was really looking for a 1x12 but couldn't pass it up. I have a 36 watt chassis I could put in there too. Lots of deals out there if you look.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7075.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	873381Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7074.JPG
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	873382Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7074.JPG
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	873382

Those speakers are Asian. 90% possible Chinese but donīt discard Singapore/Taiwan/Malaysie, even Korea ... "best bidder of the day".
    Otherwise they "should" be Eminence (or worst case, say, Pyle) and they are not.
    The label is generic, they stick it anywhere they can, and actually says Crate **amplifiers** made in USA, does not necessarily apply to every individual component inside them.

In any case, they should sound good. Crate guys are no fools.

Test them with your Tube head and report
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I was told they are Eminence, but who knows? The "Made in USA" was tongue in cheek. Lol. They are going for around $50 each on EBay.
      Last edited by olddawg; 03-08-2018, 03:55 AM.

Comment

just from the pic I'd guess jensen blue bells with out the bells.. but I could well be wrong!

Comment

maybe I am mixing up Jenson with Celestion.

Comment

Most of the time, if they are Eminence, there is a grey sticker on the side of the magnet with the eminence part number. (not always)
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by dstrat View Post
              maybe I am mixing up Jenson with Celestion.
              Pffft... Those are clearly JBL. NO! Wait! I'm mixing up JBL with EV.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Those could be Pyle or anything. Look for numbers stamped on the speaker frame. Report back.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

For you to detect the differences by yourselves.

1) frames.

Each factory has its own VERY expensive ser of stamping and punching dies, which then they use **forever** (I mean through decades, changes of ownership, etc. , no kidding)

Typical Eminence frames are stamped sheet iron, typically painted black in an "electrophoresis bath", paint dust floating into what looks like dirty water, tank is negative, speaker hanging from a hook is positive, pigment (weakly) attaches to metal, then it goes through a continuous oven which dries and then melts pigments which attach like crazy to frame.

No spray gun involved, no solvents, ***cheap and good*** , so much so itīs the standard system to paint car chassis.

FWIW Eminence does (or at least did) make stamped iron parts for cars and trucks, and they use that excellent paint system-

They use 4 or 6 hole frames, so 4 or 6 spokes, typically reinforced by a "lipstick tube" stamped along each spoke.

2) magnet plates and polepieces:

because of its water bath painting process (unique to Eminence and inherited from CTS) their plates have a "useless" hole, always same size no matter the speaker , which is needed for the suspending hook to catch while painting:

of course, it often gets covered by a label if applied, but it is still there and sometimes can be felt by pressing with a finger through label.
                  Notice also the unique Eminence tagboard, where tinsel wires first go through eyelets and then bend backwards and are clamped between small "ears" .
                  Only after they are mechanically secure they are soldered.

3) traditional way to make disks and polepieces is to punch disks from thick steel plates using *huge* hydraulic presses.

Edge typically tears, showing a relatively smooth part where punching begins but then metal tears into a quite jagged edge, ending in a noticeable burr.

notice edge was punched top to bottom so top edge is smoother, middle and down is jagged, burr is invisible because it touches magnet.
                  Notice hook hole was punched upwards, and burr is visible.

See also the Eminence ID label glued to magnet side, so as not to interfere with main back label.

Of course itīs easy to remove if you want to keep your speakers "mystery".

to be continued
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

FWIW dstrat and I are joshing about maker ID. I get the impression that it got missed for some reason. They're clearly NOT any of the brands we suggested.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Honestly guys they will work or they won't. The seller was an electrician that threw it in his truck and dropped it off on my doorstep. Can't beat that. I would have preferred a 1x12" cab but you know how it is.. you see dozens until you need one. We will see. I'll look for some codes on the frames.

Comment

Yeah I most certainly was wrong but I think Juan is on to it!

they look like good speakers.

Comment

Seriously, look for numbers stamped on the frame or side of magnet. Number codes can identify the brand.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Number codes can identify the brand
                            ........ IF US made, by an EIA affiliated Company that is.

Not much used in China/Japan/Hong Kong/Korea/etc.

And not so sure about latecomers (Scumbag, Jupiter, etc.)

I think Weber thought it important and registered (mainly because he started by making Jensen clones with exact same names as C12N, etc. until he got a cease and desist notification).
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7077.JPG
Size:	937.5 KB
ID:	848888Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7077.JPG
Size:	937.5 KB
ID:	848888

No numbers or codes on the frames at all. I think the "USA" sticker is for the whole amp as Juan said. Looks like Asian clones of Eminence to me. It'll either work or it won't, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X