5E6A build morphed into Vibroverb AA763

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E6A build morphed into Vibroverb AA763

I started out to build a Bassman 5E6A, I purchased all the parts and then realized that I really wanted to incorporate reverb and vibrato, so I searched around and decided that I could morph those circuits and cut the input down to just a single 12AX7 saving the current to run the reverb I think. Any thoughts? I think I can make it work. Am I missing anything obvious?

Also I am retaining the dual 5U4 rectifiers.
    Last edited by tubessence; 03-19-2018, 04:52 AM. Reason: more info
    make tone, not war... A.P.

The VV AA763 has 6 preamp tubes. The 5E6A has 3. If you omit one of the VV input channels, you are still short 2 preamp tubes.
    Even if you further omit the one input of the 5E6A and you save an extra 1/2 tube, but you are still short 1 and 1/2 preamp tubes.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You might consider sticking with your original plan but add an unbufferred effects loop right before the phase inverter for reverb and tremolo.

Steve A.

EDIT After looking at the 5E6A schematic I think I would build a 5F6A bassman with the unbuffered FX loop I suggested. I would recommend wiring in a .047uF coupling cap going from the output of the treble control to FX send jack to block any DC voltage that might leak. (With a jack with an isolated switch could you could wire a smaller cap (.01-.022uf) so it would only be in the circuit if something was plugged into FX send jack.)
      Last edited by Steve A.; 03-20-2018, 03:08 PM.
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Or just get another PT. With all of the time and money you are spending it isn't a huge deal in perspective.

Comment

Also, alternate, just build your amp, w/o reverb, or vibrato or an effects loop and check out a used one of these:

https://reverb.com/p/strymon-flint?g...E&hfid=7438888

My brother is an awesome guitarist, has lots of this kind of stuff. He brought the pedal above over we tried it out on my home made Deluxe Reverb. and it sounds just great. And its a lot more flexible than the one knob tank reverb. The reverb sounds one hell of a lot better than I thought pedal reverb could sound, and the tremolo has a bunch of variations as well.

This way you could focus on the amp for what it does best, the tube sound.
          The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Wow! They are awful proud of that pedal.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Wow! They are awful proud of that pedal.
              When Charlie brought it over to demo it, I had to constantly battle the "I know tank reverb is superior" bias from back in the day. It sounds good, really good. And they can do cool "electronicky" stuff with tremolo that we don't get with tube simple oscillators.

So, if you got a recording studio, nothing beats that giant metal plate, but for hacking around in my basement, the strymon is ok.
              The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

After some research on the PT that I have ( AO36483 ) it looks like it was used in many amps ( AB763, 6G16 ) which all had reverb and tremolo, so I think I'll be alright if I use a single GZ34.
                make tone, not war... A.P.

Comment

Working...
                X