Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Baldwin Organ Amp (simple fix?) (help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Baldwin Organ Amp (simple fix?) (help)

Hello all!

To preface this, this is my first post on this forum so if i've posted this in the wrong place then please direct me to the proper section.

The problem at hand is my 1960s Baldwin organ amplifier. It's been working fine since I picked it up a couple months ago but the inside construction of the cab was always worrisome. Alas my worst nightmare happened and on my way to a gig i picked up my amp from its handle and disassembled in front of me. So here I am seeking advice on how to fix my amp. The construction of the amp seems to be very simple so I assume that this is a very easy fix but I don't know enough about amps to see where the problem is.

Here are some photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bustedfrontcab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	730.9 KB
ID:	873437

Name:	disassembled.jpg
Size:	456.9 KB
ID:	873438

Name:	faraway guts.jpg
Size:	663.0 KB
ID:	873439

Name:	guts.jpg
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	873440

Name:	backofspeaker.jpg
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	873441

Name:	pluginsmall.jpg
Size:	589.6 KB
ID:	873442

Name:	pluginbig.jpg
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	873443

Name:	importanttwowires.jpg
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	873444

So what i've deduced so far is that when I plug in the little plastic squares into their respective compartments my orange power indicator light turns on. The only wires that are not connected to the amp are the ones seen in the last picture. I don't know where the wires are supposed to connect and i suspect that is the reason i can't get any sound through my amp despite there being power.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, I'm very eager to learn and to fix this problem!

The black and white wires with the push-on connectors look like they'd go to the speaker. See if there are tabs on the frame of the speaker, verify whether or not anything is attached. And allow me to advise you to be careful! Always double-check that the amp is not plugged into the wall and has been allowed to sit for some time while the power supply discharges. You could get a nasty shock. Also, shorting those wires together while under power will result in damage to the amp.

edit: the reason I say the wires might go to the speaker is that I can't see from your pictures what else may connect to it. Be sure to double check, maybe additional pictures (good job with the ones you took!) will help us 'see' to finish the repair.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Thank-you for pointing me in the right direction eschertron! I took your advice and looked at the cabs speaker and noticed two little metal pieces attached to the speaker.

Name:	wiresnotconnected.jpg
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	849051

^ Noticed that they were kinda twisted

After that I put the wires in their respective holders and suddenly sound took the place where silence once was

Name:	wiresconnected.jpg
Size:	562.3 KB
ID:	849052

Thank you again, you were a tremendous help.

Now to reinforce the structure of the cab!

Comment

Glad to be of help. I hope the cabinet repair goes as smoothly as this.

And welcome to the place! You will find many knowledgeable minds here who are willing to help others with questions and repairs.
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I believe it should, the construction of the cab is not very complicated so I'm sure the cab repair will go smoothly. I'm very happy i've found this community I'm very interested in learning more about amp repair and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
          X