Donner Jet Convolution Flanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donner Jet Convolution Flanger

I thought I'd post a mini-review of the Donner Jet Convolution Flanger.

Short Version: Don't buy it.

Longer Version: Don't buy it. It's advertised as a "clone of a clone." In other words, if you read the reviews on various forums, it's made by the same manufacturer who builds the well-respected Mooer ElecLady or E-Lady (or whatever the name has morphed into now.) The Mooer E-Lady is reportedly a clone of the vintage EH Electric Mistress.

There are a couple of threads online at various sources:

TGP: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...anger.1409584/
    TDPRI: NPD: Donner Jet Convolution Flanger | Telecaster Guitar Forum

To be fair, I paid all of $25 for the pedal on ebay. And if all you're looking for is a $25 flanger, then you might be happy. My biggest beef with this pedal is that like most of the micro-pedals, they're not particularly tweak-friendly. This one is designed to have one big knob (RATE) and multiple small knobs that are so small that it's not practical to adjust them more than once. These micro pedals seem to be optimized for people who like to dial in a setting for a pedal and leave it there.

The biggest problem for me was uncontrollable regeneration when the "color" knob was turned up halfway. My specimen oscillated and squealed uncontrollably over most of the range on the "color" knob, rendering it not very useful. I was disappointed, because the pedal didn't sound like a Mistress to me, and that's what it and the Jet Convolution/E-Lady is reported to be.

I'm a bit frustrated, as I'm looking for a decent Electric Mistress sound without going vintage, but I'm not having any luck finding one. Sadly the current EH offerings don't even sound like a real Mistress. For now I guess I'll just have to live with my old A/DA. If there's anything really good out there please LMK.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H
Working...
X