B52 AT112 drive channel mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B52 AT112 drive channel mod

Just thinking about dipping my toe into mods, so forgive any noobishness.

I got this AT112 in a trade, and the drive channel really isn't my thing. The clean channel is pretty good. Something about the amp reminds me a lot of a Mesa Lonestar, especially the weight In looking at the schematics the clean channel for the AT112 is dang near identical to the Lonestar (perhaps this is a common design), and the sound is at least "in that vein." The drive channel though is so over the top as to be unusable for me. The drive on ch2 of a Lonestar is a very simple circuit, basically a copy of ch1 with an extra gain stage. If I am reading the schematic right the AT112 has the same number of gain stages (4), but then two stages of DC coupled cathode follower (V4 tube), which I think is basically just a distortion circuit, right? How feasible would it be to bypass that section altogether? The tonestack values might be kind of screwed up, but values can be changed.

AT112 SCHEMATICS 9-06-2006.pdf

Won't upload the mesa schematic since I know they are kinda of sensitive about that, but they haven't gotten schematic heaven to take them down yet.
    https://schematicheaven.net/boogieam...e_lonestar.pdf
Working...
X